Author Topic: Question about Workflow  (Read 205 times)

Hey, I recently bought Designer and just started learning it with the awesome tutorials by Allegorithmic but there is one thing I couldn't understand so far. In the first videos we created the material (metal+rust) within one graph. After that we split the graph into two and created one for the metal floor and one for the rust. In my opinion it would be easier to start with two graphs in the first place without creating a graph with both materials in it. So is this actually a common thing to start with one graph and then dividing it into two or more?

I think this is all about preference. Some people like having all the information there to be used in one graph, some like it divided into many. But either way, sometimes a material is being built that SEEMS like it will be simple, but quickly grows larger than expected. So if I plan to make a one-graph material that ends up clearly split down the middle between generator and effect, I might decide at some point that it would be easier to read and understand if I start splitting it up.

I rarely know ahead of time how the material will work, except for a vague idea, so I don't usually know how many pieces to make right away. But as I'm going along, I'll realize I need graphs that generate a specific thing, and start a new one there. Rather than splitting, therefore, I tend to add. But I can see how splitting would happen.

For me, one thing I've found is that it's easier to return to a graph that's broken into smaller pieces, where each piece does it's own job. If I only am doing something once that I won't need to look at in the future (very rare, re-using your old work is a great way to get things done faster), I'll do it all in one, without worrying about keeping stuff clean. But usually I think of it like object-oriented programming and make functions and subroutines..