Author Topic: How to create a node instance inside the same graph ?  (Read 605 times)

Hi guys,

I would need to find a way to replicate the
- Nuke postageStamp node
- Houdini ObjectMerge node
Inside substance designer.

Basically i would like to be able to select any node from a substance graph and create an instance of it.
Which mean that :
- it create a new node that can be plug anywhere in the graph
- this node does not exist in the background it just contain the same info of the node he refer to.
- you can toggle the display relationship, to display the link that connect the instance to his reference.
- you don't have to create a sub-graph / macro to reference the node

The goal of this is to avoid sphaghetti graph and overlapping connections everywhere.
This tend to make graph cleaner to read, without having to split your graph into sub-graph.

Is it already possible to do this in substance designer ?
Thanks for your lights !
Cheers
E

Hey, thanks for the suggestion (it does not exist for now)
don't hesitate to add this idea to uservoice so people can upvote it: https://allegorithmic.uservoice.com/

Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 06:35:34 pm

yes, it's in the TODO :)

Hi guys,

I would need to find a way to replicate the
- Nuke postageStamp node
- Houdini ObjectMerge node
Inside substance designer.

Basically i would like to be able to select any node from a substance graph and create an instance of it.

That would be excellent, it would make the "readability" of graphs much simpler than having multiple lines all over the place, just plug and instance of the node and utilise it's output or input, which would propagate to the parent instance.