Author Topic: Substance Painter 2018.2. and nVidia driver issue  (Read 2825 times)

With the release of SP 2018.2 and nVidia 398.82, I was just wondering what the status of the current driver issue is, as mentioned here:

https://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php/topic,22711.0.html

I have decided to continue using the latest nVidia drivers, since I need up to date drivers for other programs, and instead I am using Substance Painter 2018.1.1, since this seems to be reasonably stable.

If I upgrade to 2018.2, is it still recommended that I downgrade my graphics drivers, or has this issue been resolved either in Substance Painter or the latest nVidia driver release?

Thanks!

There is no official update on that front. That being said, it's worth a try. A lot of users have issues but myself for example have never had a crash using the latest Nvidia drivers all this time.

Thanks for the information!

I have heard the newer drivers have issues with various renderers as well so its not just substance i don't think.. i suspect dev's need to update programs due to an nvidia change.. unless it was nvidia that messed up the drivers the last few rounds.

Yes, you're right, I am having issues with Daz3D's rendering as well. I think it is related to nVidia iRay, since both substance painter and Daz use it.

render using cpu+gpu crash my system at 1-2m.
i check my smart materials  it generate the  thumbnail ... then crash.
baking thickness map... crash.
it now use more vram so it lag alot for everything.

a broken program in my opinion , going back to older releases

render using cpu+gpu crash my system at 1-2m.
i check my smart materials  it generate the  thumbnail ... then crash.
baking thickness map... crash.
it now use more vram so it lag alot for everything.

a broken program in my opinion , going back to older releases
I would suggest checking the following :
https://support.allegorithmic.com/documentation/display/SPDOC/GPU+drivers+crash+with+long+computations
https://support.allegorithmic.com/documentation/display/SPDOC/Software+conflicts
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

rda

I just downloaded 2018.2.1 and tried to use it for the first time today.  I'm able to import a file and bake, but after that the program just seems to start generating thumbnails forever. Sometimes, after about 5 minutes, it will stop and look like I can go to the next step, but then when I pull a material up into the layer tab, the process starts over.

I have the latest Nvidia drivers installed.  Do I really need to go way back to 388.71?  Is there another driver along the way that seems to work well with 2018.2.1?  Is there anything else I can try?

I just downloaded 2018.2.1 and tried to use it for the first time today.  I'm able to import a file and bake, but after that the program just seems to start generating thumbnails forever. Sometimes, after about 5 minutes, it will stop and look like I can go to the next step, but then when I pull a material up into the layer tab, the process starts over.
That may be normal, you should wait a bit until the shelf finish generating the new preview. Some update may trigger a recomputation of them.

I have the latest Nvidia drivers installed.  Do I really need to go way back to 388.71?  Is there another driver along the way that seems to work well with 2018.2.1?  Is there anything else I can try?
Right now yes, you need to rollback, we are still investigating the problem. It is very hard for use to reproduce it at the moment.
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

Hi guys,

Is it possible to have the linux version of your recommended drivers ?

We don't have the 388.71 available.

Hi guys,

Is it possible to have the linux version of your recommended drivers ?

We don't have the 388.71 available.

I would say any drivers before 39x.xx then. Most of the issues surfaced with this series of drivers.
-----------