Author Topic: Brick /Tile Pattern projected along round object. Help!  (Read 3740 times)

Hi community,

i have a question regarding projecting a sqare brick pattern on a round mesh. I want to build a well which should have a brick wall.
I use Blender to build my models and unwrapp them also within blender. I then convert them into obj to use them in SD.

My problem is (and mybe I am to newbie) how to unwrap the round well to geht an even projection of the brick pattern on the model. I always get seams (which is normal), which are annoying with the bricks. If I make more seams, the Islands get more even, but I have more seams :-). If i do on seam along the up-down axis (in blender z) I get only one disorientation, but the bending is stronger.

Is there maybe a possibility to project the texture along the curved UV-Island?

I really apreciate some help or guidance in the right direction!

Thanks
Cheers!

Seams should not be necessary in this case.
All you need to do is unwrap them uv's in a strait line
Nothing should be curvy like now.

That should make thing easier

have fun
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Muezli.com with yoghurt and lots of fresh fruits.

Seams should not be necessary in this case.
All you need to do is unwrap them uv's in a strait line
Nothing should be curvy like now.

That should make thing easier

have fun

Hi,

thanks for your reply. I am quite new working with blender. How can I unwrap in a straigt line not having seams?
What you say makes sense, but I not really sure how to achive it. As far as I know, I have to set seams to tile the UV Islands into litte most strait junks. But if I have to many Islands, the brick pattern is split to often and I get the ugly showing seams.  :-[

I don't know if you use blender, but how would you unwrap it, to get is straigt?

Thanks a lot.

Cheers

Hi,

Its a matter of the UV layout. In the image, I unwrapped the UVs then straightened them so the brick texture will be placed without distortion. For the seams, I made sure that they line up at the edge of the 0-1 space on each side so the texture would be seamless horizontally.

Cheers,

Wes

Integrations Product Manager / Training
wes.mcdermott@allegorithmic.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Hi,

Its a matter of the UV layout. In the image, I unwrapped the UVs then straightened them so the brick texture will be placed without distortion. For the seams, I made sure that they line up at the edge of the 0-1 space on each side so the texture would be seamless horizontally.

Cheers,

Wes

Hi Wes,

thanks so much for taking the time to give me this valuable answere. Cool to visualize the problem. I guess you don't use blender ;). Are you able to align the vertices horizontal by a function, or do you have to align them by hand. If there is a function, what is the name of it, so I could search for something similar for blender.

Thanks again!
Cheers!

Woohooo,

got it! If somebody is using Blender and runs into the same problem, here is the solution. If you have the UV-Map unwrapped, you can select the horizontal vertices and go in the menu UVs --> Weld/Align -->AlignY. This works really good. As you can see on the screens.

Thanks Wes for pushing me in the right direction!

Cheers