Author Topic: Can I use this workflow for non-metallic textures?  (Read 1587 times)

Hello,

While trying to solve my artifact problems on the pistol texture I discovered that turning off Auto-Smooth in Blender makes all the baking artifacts disappear BUT makes the edges have dark shading BUT only on metallic textures. If I do this on an object that is going to have non-metallic textures, it looks perfectly fine. Why is this? I have a feeling it has something to do with the fresnel.

Either way, can I use this workflow for objects that are not going to have metallic textures such as stone and wood? It would not only speed up my workflow but also reduce my final vert count because I am no longer obligated to mark every hard edge as as seam. What do you think? Is this a "valid" workflow when making games?

Here is what I am talking about:

You stiil have artifacts on non metallic surface though its not so obvious. I dont think its good idea to make object without hard edges. I suggest you to look for some baking tutorials.
Here's some advices:
1. Leave some space between uv islands
2. Turn on average normals in baking settings (it might require additional cuts on your low poly model near hard edges so details wont distort)

But will people notice? I mean you have to look hard to see it.

Also, in hard surface modeling, there are often quite a few hard edges. If I mark all as seam not only will the final vert count increase but it will also be a complete nightmare finding all the little bits and pieces of the unwrap and organizing them. I like having as few cuts as possible...If I really have to do this for everything how do I do it as painlessly as possible?

it's preferable in gamedev to use hard edges as far as i know (i think cause of normal map compression). I personally dont experience any problems with UVs (in Blender you have awesome features like Average islands(ctrl+A) and Pack islands(ctrl+P) )