Author Topic: new color picker?  (Read 1503 times)

when I use it on base colour or diffuse, .222 in value gives me 50% gray, instead of what I would expect to be .5 in Value.
Using it on Roughness, however, I have the expected behaviour (.5 value gives 50% gray).

I understand this has something to do with Linear color-space, but it's rather confusing and potentially makes our production more difficult since we have many textures from photoshop and the values are not matching.

I think this used to be different. This change is probably a good thing  but right now it is causing some confusion.
Is there anything I can do to have the color picker work the old way?

The color picker has always been in Linear Space as far as I remember. That being said, we have plans to improve it and allow you to choose the space in which you select the colors.

it seems you are correct! I must be imagining things lol

it seems you are correct! I must be imagining things lol

I feel you, I've been noticing "new" things in Painter and ZBrush.. but I haven't updated either to the new version yet lol

The color picker has always been in Linear Space as far as I remember.

Yes - it has.  :(

Quote from: Jeremie Noguer
That being said, we have plans to improve it and allow you to choose the space in which you select the colors.

Now that's great news!  ;D

Faster Common Shadow

The color picker has always been in Linear Space as far as I remember. That being said, we have plans to improve it and allow you to choose the space in which you select the colors.

Would it be possible to reflect the color space of the viewport as set in display settings in the color picker? It seems error prone to me to manually set the color space of the picker in isolation of the color space of the viewport.