Author Topic: Tile sampler?  (Read 828 times)

Hello! I'm a student learning SD, and I've been working these days on a procedural texture that is basically a bunch of floppy disks scattered. I've seen some tutorials but they all rely on that the object portrayed is uniform-colored (like coins, rocks, leaves or screws). And that's not what I need. I've built the object out of shapes and masks (front and back) but. obviously, it has different color zones, a metallic part, etc. I don't know what to do after i've built the shapes i want. I tried use tile sampler but that way i couldnt treat color, roughness and metalness of individual parts of each component.
What would you say it's the best approach? Can you point me towards a guide or tutorial?

You can often get these sorts of results by having multiple tile samplers with all the same settings, and layer them afterwards. This can often be annoying, though, trying to get everything to line up right, and to get the pieces to overlap when they're supposed to.
In your case, it might be possible to use color in a sneaky way, here... By using Tile Sampler Color you might be able to pull in the required maps as separate colors with a RGBA Merge node. Red for height, green for metallic, blue for basecolor (if you have paper labels or writing on the surface, for example). And an alpha map for the general shape, of course. Then make sure the tile smapler has it's blending mode set to Alpha Blend, and it should take care of the layering for you. Then separate out the colors back into their proper greyscale places, use a gradient map or some other trick to bring color to the Base Color, and you should be set.

Damn! I didn't think of that!
I'll give it a shot these days and post back the results (or questions, most probably) that come up.

I don't know how to overcome this issue, I'm having problem with fusion modes for both the outputs of the RGBA Split.
I can't manage to do it so the "lower" disks (the ones with lower luminosity values in the tile sampler) stay below the "higher" (brighter) ones.

I've tried all fusion modes.
Also in the tile sampler, when I add luminosity variation for creating the height differences...Is there a way to make the luminosity variation to act in a cohesive way, like putting the brighter ones above and the darker ones below, or should i try to combine it with another tile sampler and blend it?

Hey, you don't have to play with the luminosity in color mode
just make sure your color pattern has a proper alpha, and that the blending mode is defined to "alpha blend" in the tile sampler.

Also, instead of random luminosity, use luminosity by number (If that's what it's called, I'm not at my Substance pc right now) . This way the height will match the order they are drawn in, which should match the order the colored ones are drawn.
Esger van der Post.
Texturing addict.

I explained myself incorrectly, I forgot to mention that i have 2 tile sampler colors, making the same operation twice, one for the floppys facing front (where you can see the label) and another facing backwards,

Where I'm having trouble is mixing the result of both operations in height, color, and metallic, (And i haven't even started to do the roughness just yet!)

First: you should appreciate a new upcoming feature of SD (stay tuned, it won't be long ;) )
you can have 2 inputs in the same tile sampler, that said, the second one will be on top of the first one.

First: you should appreciate a new upcoming feature of SD (stay tuned, it won't be long ;) )
you can have 2 inputs in the same tile sampler, that said, the second one will be on top of the first one.

Ok, now I'm hyped. I need to know!
I thought the ones that allowed 2 inputs were the Tile generator, not the tile sampler. Now that I think of it. What's the difference between them? They are quite similar, right?

I thought the ones that allowed 2 inputs were the Tile generator, not the tile sampler.
yes the tile sample supports multiple inputs.
And take a look at the new shape splatter ;)

I have been trying to find a good solution for what you are trying to achieve for ages. the problem with the max blending is, that gradients tend to intersect, just like shown on your images, especially if they have some kind of detail, which is further messing with the height blending

the shape splatter node offers the ability to use the shape splatter blend color to add color surface detail, but no height detail (or normal detail)
for roughness or metallic output, it does the trick.

so it only solves part of the problem, which is already something :)

if we would be able to use the max blending along with the flat "random color" option (substance_splatter_test_03.jpg, left image) and then use this blending for the more complicated shape we want to pile up, the problem would be solved.
Maybe I have missed something about the new nodes, but that´s how I understand it works, which is why more complicated shapes, like your floppy discs, or the elements of my second image (substance_splatter_test_03.jpg. right image) are not piling up correctly.

@eggfruit: the luminance by number is only available for the tile generator, not for the tile sampler or the shape splatter nodes (at least I can´t find it there)

Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 02:43:27 pm

Yeah, I've been doing some tests and I'm having the same results as you.
Also because I'm a madman I have to make everything twice, one for the front, one for the back, so not all floppy disks are facing the same direction.
Point is, I've found this substance by Nick Williams on Artstation which is exactly what i was going for (except that, in his case, he made it with videocasette tapes) https://www.artstation.com/artwork/wXnRw but sadly this post is quite secretive on how he made it.

in the image of the video casette tapes, you can spot quite a few intersections of the sides of the boxes. I think generally speaking, it is relatively easy to create the layering, if you are just willing to do it manually and splatter a small number of items per layer to avoid intersections

I am wondering, if the pixel processor would allow for some sort of color coding the elements and then some setup like: "use mask A to pile up elements B" (A and B having the same contour/outline) - because as long as you are using flat colors, the max blend works perfectly.

so to use the flat colours to create the masking and stacking and then kind of filling in the result with the detailed elements.