Author Topic: Substance Source Terms of Use  (Read 3926 times)

Hello,

I want to see if we can start using Substance Source at our company, however I'm not quite sure about the terms of use.
I know you can't download and resell materials from Substance Source, but is it possible to alter/combine the materials, then bake them into texture files, and sell those texture files?

We create 3D models and sell them as a zip package with texture files. If it's not possible to use Source for this we'll have to start making our own library!

Thanks in advance!
Eveline

Hi Eveline

I know you can't download and resell materials from Substance Source, but is it possible to alter/combine the materials, then bake them into texture files, and sell those texture files?

It is definitely possible to do that, however your textures have to be sufficiently modified to be different from the ones from Substance Source.

I hope this answered your question!
PO @ Allegorithmic

Great, thank you!

Apologies for gravedig. Marion, could you please describe what "sufficiently modified" means exactly? Do the source textures have to be unrecognizable, or could it be something as simple as color, tiling, and form changes?

For example here is a texture I modified (left original, right modified). This is not a source texture, just an example. Would it be sufficient modification to sell in a texture pack? Also, I assume textures made in designer from scratch myself can be sold as is?

Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 04:21:41 am

Hi @mkonsub ,

Regarding your question about the materials made in Substance Designer from scratch by yourself, you can sell them without any problem. They are yours!

Regarding the other part of your question about what "sufficiently modified" means exactly, I'll ask you if you could wait for a more precise answer until next week, as I want to make sure what I answer you is completely exact.

Thank you for your patience
PO @ Allegorithmic

Hi @mkonsub

After verifications,
The restrictions are that you can not simply download the Substance file and export a texture as-is, or after changing the values of the exposed parameters from the sbsar.

If you download the sbs, do modifications in the graph and export textures after those modifications you are good to go and you can sell those in a texture pack!
PO @ Allegorithmic

Thanks for the info   :)

Hi ! And sorry for bumping this quite old topic, but I have a question that is related:

I understand that:
If you download the sbs, do modifications in the graph and export textures after those modifications you are good to go and you can sell those in a texture pack!

Is it the same when it comes to .SBS files ?
I do not intend to sell anything, but I was wondering how much we have to modify the .SBS file itself to be allowed to share it again (for free) on internet for learning/teaching purposes. Or if it is even allowed at all ?
And if is not allowed, then, can we reuse part of those .sbs file in other .sbs and share those ?

It gets really complicated to understand what is the limit when things are created procedurally out of nodes.
Sometimes changing just a few nodes in a .sbs file can output a result completely different from the original one, yet the source graph is pretty similar to the one shared one the Substance Source portal.