Author Topic: Failed to save project  (Read 3566 times)

I'm not sure whats going on but it wont allow me to save. It reads in red,

[Project] Failed to save project to 'E:/Portfolio/Projects/Winchester M1873 Rifle/AutoSaves/Winchester_Rifle_2.spp'

and

[Project management] Save failed - this is unusual, check previous messages for more information

anything i can do to solve this issue?

So after some trouble shooting i have found what the cause of the save failure is. Apparently cleaning my file causes this issue. anyway around this? as my ssp file is getting really large and cleaning was going to be my way of reducing the size.

It does look like the bug regarding imported smart-mats in latest version: https://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php/topic,24416.0.html

I've been getting this same error/crash a lot lately as well. I'm using 2018.2.3

Could you attacha a log file exported right after a save failed?

Same thing happened to me for the first time last night. From what I can tell after reading the log, the problem appears to have began after I tried to import a .PNG to use as an alpha. The .PNG still showed up in my project files and I was still able to use it as intended, so I dunno (Although I did import it three separate times as I decided to make a couple of changes to it in Photoshop after the first import).

Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 07:35:39 pm

When you get such a messge, try deleting any reference to the image in your project and stack, then run a File>Clean and make sure the image is gone from your project. Save then and the project should be back to normal.

That worked, thank you! I wasn't paying attention to the error log at the bottom and didn't realize it wasn't saving until I was almost finished with the project. You just saved me from having to toss out an hour or so of work. Cheers!

I have this too. Thanks for the replies! How do you remove the reference to the images there doesnt seem to be an option to remove it once its in there. Just to reload..
Thanks for your help in advance!

This is the line in the log that tells me it is an image..
[ ERR] <Qt> "[DBG ERROR][Project]" "class Alg::save_resource_error" can't save null image
I am trying to remove images but they are saved in the project. How do you remove items saved in project?
Hoping to have no restart as this was all of Fridays work that I didn't realize wasn't saving.
Might be good to have a popup if save fails....
Also a right click remove option would be great too!
Thanks!
Edd

Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Froyok aka Fabrice Piquet, Technical Artist and Product Designer at Allegorithmic.

Thanks for the advice Froyok. This is still not saving. It still shows me the same error message
[ ERR] <Qt> "[DBG ERROR][Project]" "class Alg::save_resource_error" can't save null image

The resource updater and layer stacks show no broken resources I have checked a few times.
Any help would be really helpful so I dont lose the work thats in here and unsavable...

Thanks in advance!

Can you try to update to the last version of Substance Painter ?
I know we fixed some issues related to saving with invalid resource.
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Froyok aka Fabrice Piquet, Technical Artist and Product Designer at Allegorithmic.