Author Topic: Layers shift upwards if the mesh is replaced.  (Read 4442 times)

Hey guys... I have a discovered a new issue with my layers not being reprojected correctly if I change the model by swapping it out. In this case, I just updated the UVs on the eyes and the layers for some weird reason shift up and there is no way to fix this other than redoing all of the work. I am painting visual damage on a fighter and I had to use a blendshaped version of the mesh for reference and if this is a possible bug, it's crippling, especially if you have A LOT of layers.

The model is exactly the same, just using a few small edits. I added the eyes

The Layers move the exact same distance as the left eye opens and the model moves down that distance if you toggle between the images. The Layers stay in the same position relitive to eachother. Perhaps your UV's in 0/1 Space changed when you edited the UV's to open the eyes. Looks like the UV map shifts up in 0/1 space the same distance as you opened the eyes.

None of the UVs were moved. The blendshapes were made in zbrush.

Was the model created in Zbrush? If not Maybe saving the model in Z brush changed the models UV Space or World Space.

i had this exact thing happen - http://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php/topic,2320.0.html
seems to just be a thing at the moment with painter. hopefully its a known and theyre workin on it.

one of the things that struck me as really scary about painter is that as i understand it, ALL actions are recorded seperately, every brush stroke and tweak, with no way to manually discard history.  i guess this means that when a model is reimportd, every action is performed on it again.

once a project gets big, i forsee huge problems of this nature occuring unless we get some manual management functionality over the undo stack. i think painter would be no less an awesome procedural tool if we had options to merge and discard data and set new starting points.
Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 02:47:40 am

Was the model created in Zbrush? If not Maybe saving the model in Z brush changed the models UV Space or World Space.

the blend shapes were done in zbrush and sent to Modo. Nothing was changed.

I have noticed that if you re-import your mesh with all of the layers turned off, the layers don't offset, but it is a painful way to work. I have been able to reproduce this bug over and over, and it CAN be very destructive if you have a lot of layers and the paint ends up in the wrong place. Also, you have to make sure that you don't change your model too much from the original. This is why I was asking for Blendshape Support.

I have noticed that if you re-import your mesh with all of the layers turned off, the layers don't offset, but it is a painful way to work. I have been able to reproduce this bug over and over, and it CAN be very destructive if you have a lot of layers and the paint ends up in the wrong place. Also, you have to make sure that you don't change your model too much from the original. This is why I was asking for Blendshape Support.

Hi,

When you change the UVs or Mesh, you need to bake a new normal map for the updated mesh. You then import the normal map using "File > Import Image" and assign it to the normal map slot for you material. Finally, you go to Project Configuration and add the new mesh. The reprojection should then match the new mesh and or UVs.

Cheers,

Wes 
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Hi,

When you change the UVs or Mesh, you need to bake a new normal map for the updated mesh. You then import the normal map using "File > Import Image" and assign it to the normal map slot for you material. Finally, you go to Project Configuration and add the new mesh. The reprojection should then match the new mesh and or UVs.

Cheers,

Wes

Yep, that is exactly what I did. :) The UVs are unchanged. I'm also doing this as corrective textures when the face/body is visually damaged.

(copy-pasting the answer I just wrote in another related thread)

It's a known bug. The Painter team is currently working on it. It's not a trivial issue, but it should be fixed in a couple weeks. The problem is that every change to your mesh that changes the extent of its bounding box will cause a shift in the painting operations.

Good to know. For now I'll hide all layers before importing a new model into the scene. That seems to fix the reprojection issues.

I'm currently getting this bug in 2018. Was this ever fixed?

I figured out what was causing this. I moved my low poly mesh down in Maya so it wasn't matching up during reprojection in Substance.

I solved this by exporting my model out of Substance to get a reference to the "correct" position. I then imported that Substance model into Maya, matched the Maya model's position with the imported Substance model's position.