Author Topic: 8k textures difficulties  (Read 762 times)

Hi, Im trying out substance2 plugin with 8192 texture settings. Everything works fine, but always the scene start slowing down and eventually crashes. If I reload the scene, it takes a good few minutes for the scene to reload, after it loads I can work fine again until things repeat.

I only use 1 substance file in the slate editor. Vray 3.6. Geforce gtx 1080ti

Anyone else having this problem?

Hi, Im trying out substance2 plugin with 8192 texture settings. Everything works fine, but always the scene start slowing down and eventually crashes. If I reload the scene, it takes a good few minutes for the scene to reload, after it loads I can work fine again until things repeat.

I only use 1 substance file in the slate editor. Vray 3.6. Geforce gtx 1080ti

Anyone else having this problem?

Hi,

There isn't a straight forward solution with 8K. A lot of performance can depend on the substance graph and how it's constructed. The higher the resolution, the more you want to have an optimized graph. If the graph is complex, 8K resolution per node will definitely slow the system down.

Cheers,
Wes

Integrations Product Manager / Training
wes.mcdermott@allegorithmic.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Thanks for the reply! The extra long load time only seem to occur when opening a 3ds max scene. After the scene is loaded the calculate times are definitely not so long. There actually quiet fast.

Other then that, I start to understand that the speed of the graph updating is really important for stable scene development. Right now Im turning off the Slater Editor render and setting the viewport to Wireframe display, to avoid to much problems when working with heavy Substance files.

Im not sure if such a thing is possible, but could it be that the node shows when it is finished calculating?