Author Topic: Height in 3D view - Designer 5.6  (Read 3277 times)

Hi guys,

I'm revisiting one of my old graphs and when I open up the file I had saved a good while back, the displacement is looking completely off to what it looked like when I originally worked on the file.

When I open the file, it now looks like the very exaggerated displaced image attached.

But it really should look like the more 'correct' displaced image in the next post..

This is how it should look.

I haven't actually saved anything into the file, it is the original file I had saved before.

So some setting is 'sticking' in Designer as I had been experimenting with other graphs the past few days.

Would you have any idea how to get it back to the original state I had? I hope this makes sense how I described it!

Hi Paul,

In your 3D view, click on Material > Default > Edit and change your scale value.

As you can see in our release notes (2017.2.3) we reduced the scale factor, so you might have a different result depending on the version you are using.

Hope it helps  :)

Q.A Analyst

Hi Luc,

Thanks for the reply. I bought 2018 a few days back. The thing is, this graph was created in 5.6 and I re-opened it in 5.6 but it still looks different. The scale factor is set to 0.3, I am nearly sure.

Also, the Tesselation Factor is set to 64, the same setting it originally was when it looked correct.

On a side note - would the fact I have just installed v2018 have any affect on files that I want to open in 5.6? Is is a bad idea to have to different versions installed?

Would there be any conflict causing this to happen?

Just checking, but more than likely it is just a setting in Designer that I have to change in order to get it back. The thing is, I just need info on what that setting is :)

Thanks!

Feel free to chime in here guys,

Surely some of you have seen this issue also

Cheers :)

Hello,
They changed scaling of a lot of things somewhere in the last few updates to make it more uniform between parallax, tesselation, Iray etc. So you may have to find new values to get the same displacement.

Tesselation is relative to the original polycount of a mesh. The default plane has a very low polycount, so even at a tesselation of 64 it's still not gonna look very good. The rounded cube has a higher polycount and the plane hi-res a very high polycount to start with, so these need lower tesselation factors to look nice.

Having 2 versions of designer installed should be fine. It's also fine to open older files in a newer version, but newer files in an older version seems like a bad idea (I'm not aware of any particular issues with this in designer, but for most software this can lead to corrupted files). Also, as soon as you've opened an old file in a newer version, it will be changed to fit newer formats, so keep a backup if you want to make absolutely sure you can still open it in an older version for whatever reason.

Hello,
They changed scaling of a lot of things somewhere in the last few updates to make it more uniform between parallax, tesselation, Iray etc. So you may have to find new values to get the same displacement.

Tesselation is relative to the original polycount of a mesh. The default plane has a very low polycount, so even at a tesselation of 64 it's still not gonna look very good. The rounded cube has a higher polycount and the plane hi-res a very high polycount to start with, so these need lower tesselation factors to look nice.

Having 2 versions of designer installed should be fine. It's also fine to open older files in a newer version, but newer files in an older version seems like a bad idea (I'm not aware of any particular issues with this in designer, but for most software this can lead to corrupted files). Also, as soon as you've opened an old file in a newer version, it will be changed to fit newer formats, so keep a backup if you want to make absolutely sure you can still open it in an older version for whatever reason.

Hi Eggfruit,

Thanks for replying!

All of what you say there makes sense. But I cannot really make sense of it , in my situation. I am either missing something very obvious, or the software has got corrupted. Let me explain why this is so, so weird:

I just uninstalled version 2018, thinking it may 'correct' the issue of my files opening in 5.6. Same issues.

I uninstalled 5.6 & reinstalled 5.6 - still the same issues.

So I stripped it back to basics. I created a new scene (5.6 only installed now), fresh. Brand new.This is what I get, attached in the first image.

In image 2, this is another fresh scene with just a perlin noise plugged into the height. Is this rather bizarre to you? Why is the mesh tearing?

In image 3, thi is my actual sand project opened. With a value of 0.1 in the scale as the pic shows. I am nearly certain in my previous working file that I had this set to 0.3 or 0.5!

Images 4 shows a render I had saved out when the it was all behaving correctly, as expected.

Then lastly image 5 is the renders of the sand after exporting my maps from Designer, then got them into Maya & RenderMan.

But I wanted to revisit the file, to do some more work on it and now I am unable to do so for whatever reason. Even the uninstalls didn't fix it and I expected they would have.

Thanks - hope you and some more Tech heads in here can help.Or someone to tell me how silly I am because I haven't checked this little box somewhere haha.
Hoping to see some replies from the Allegorithmic staff, if it is a serious issue.

Thanks,
Paul

Images 4 & 5 didn't upload in the previous post, must be a limit of 3. Here they are:

Yeah, that does look extreme for those values. Since I still have 5.6 installed I quickly checked what it looks like for me and I need a scale factor of about 100x what you have to get the same results.

The edge tearing is normal for hard edged objects btw. There simply isn't any geometry to fill the gap if 2 faces move up and down at different angles, but you probably didn't notice before as the offset wasn't so extreme.

I don't know how to solve this since you probably have to delete some registry file that sticks around even after uninstall, or something along those lines. I'm sure Luc or another staff member will help out after the weekend. You could help them in advance by attaching a log file

In the meantime you can still try to get the right result by double clicking the scale slider and manually entering some tiny value like 0.001.

Cheers Eggfruit (I don't know your real name, sorry!)

I'll get a log file exported when I return from holidays and hopefully some staff reply later as you say.
Paul

Hi Paul,

I sent you a PM with my personal e-mail so we can plan a session together.

Have a good holiday :)
Q.A Analyst

Hi Paul,

I sent you a PM with my personal e-mail so we can plan a session together.

Have a good holiday :)

Thanks a mill Luc, I just sent you a PM there.

Paul

Hello all,

Thanks to Luc at Allegorithmic, this problem is now solved. It was a very bizarre one and I am nearly certain it just just some conflict because I had both 5.6 & 2018 installed at the same time.

So, here is the solution that worked thanks to Luc.

I had to edit my registry and delete some entries. I deleted everything inside the 5_x and session folder.

Settings such as recent files (listed in file menu), layout, paths (and a few preferences) were lost, but that didn't bother me one bit as I didn't do much customization.

Thanks again Luc for your great help :)

Paul