Author Topic: Custom Substance Effects Problem: created in Designer/ brought into Painter  (Read 7181 times)

Hi there,

I've been working in substance designer and painter for about three months now and so far I am freaking loving them! The only problem I've run into recently came after I followed through the custom FX node tutorial. My main desire when utilizing this workflow is to create new and unique mask generators for substance painters.

However, I've been running into a gamut of problems when attempting to bring my sbsar into painter. I'll post some pictures below and explain the problems associated with them.

"Picture1.jpg" displays the node setup I have implementing my fx map as a mask blending it with my normal map input converted to a curvature and having it bumped up some in the levels.

This leads through to a similar architecture based directly off of other mask generators that came with painter, brought into substance designer to observer. From what I can see I am using all the same exact kinds of input and output nodes, settings, and parameters, however, when I import them to painter, I get the following message (See image 2)

In image "Picture2.jpg", you can see that I have successfully imported the substance into painter, however, when I attempt to use it on a substance effect applied to a mask, I get the messages:
"Output mask hasn't been recognized" (a message I also get when trying to output a normal map)
"Effect selected is not a substance effect designed"

So far as I know these problems probably stem from some tiny detail I'm missing, but I'm hoping you guys can help me out, as I'd super appreciate it. I work for Broken Window Studios (The developers behind the Xbox One Indie Game "Grave") and we're using your program suite almost exclusively to generate the texture and surface detail for our models. If I can get these custom substances to work I know it would open an entirely new world of custom procedural effects and masks.

Either way, you guys are doing an awesome job and I can't wait to get to the bottom of this so I can keep cracking on in this amazing program. Thanks a ton!
Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 05:00:23 am

what usage channel is your output assigned to?  is this channel enabled in your painter project?
i've managed to get arbitrary INPUTS working as layer effects, but i havent managed to use any outputs that arent enabled channels in the project.

what usage channel is your output assigned to?  is this channel enabled in your painter project?
i've managed to get arbitrary INPUTS working as layer effects, but i havent managed to use any outputs that arent enabled channels in the project.

I think I have it assigned to the mask channel, if I understand your question correctly. And so far as I know, all channels are enabled. It is simply when I attempt to apply this substance effect onto the mask itself that things get hairy. I would like to generate more masks as I feel that it's a bit more versatile in certain circumstances that stacking everything on the layer image itself as with the sun bleached and rust effects. They're powerful and awesome, but I feel like i'm really missing out not being able to generate masks out of the program like this.

I think I have it assigned to the mask channel, if I understand your question correctly. And so far as I know, all channels are enabled. It is simply when I attempt to apply this substance effect onto the mask itself that things get hairy. I would like to generate more masks as I feel that it's a bit more versatile in certain circumstances that stacking everything on the layer image itself as with the sun bleached and rust effects. They're powerful and awesome, but I feel like i'm really missing out not being able to generate masks out of the program like this.

Hi,

We are working to greatly streamline the workflow so that it is very easy to create custom substances. In terms of masks, you can create substances that work on layer masks similar to the "mg_" substance effects such as metal edge wear. I will work up an example and post it back here. For the output, leave the identifier name as "output" and keep the usage blank.

Cheers,
Wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Hi,

Here is an example of a custom substance effect for scratches. In this substance, I wanted to effect, metal, rough and base_color (diffuse). The trick is to make sure the outputs Identifier and Usage match the channel you want to effect in Substance Designer. You also need to have image inputs that will take the information from Substance Painter's channels. The Image Inputs need to have their Identifier name set to the channel it represents.

So in the case of the graph in the image, I have Image Inputs for rough, metal and baseColor channels. These represent the incoming data from the SP layers. I then modulate that information to add scratches and then pass that to the outputs.

Cheers,

Wes

Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 09:23:31 pm
the3dninja@adobe.com

Thanks for that,  now it works for me 2
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Muezli.com with yoghurt and lots of fresh fruits.

Wow! Got it to work. Fantastic. Thanks so much guys!

Awesome! We will definitely improve this workflow and also create a template system as well so its very quick.

Cheers,

Wes
the3dninja@adobe.com

Awesome! We will definitely improve this workflow and also create a template system as well so its very quick.

Cheers,

Wes

Thanks for the info Wes.
Will this streamlined workflow and template system be in the release version, or is this planned for a future version of Substance Designer?

cheers
Guillaume

Sorry to bump this thread, but how do I get substance effects created to affect a mask?

cl

Hi,

I experimented a bit to get a Mask Substance and this minimal setup works (sbs and sbsar are attached).

Hi,

I experimented a bit to get a Mask Substance and this minimal setup works (sbs and sbsar are attached).

Hello,

The Input represents the painted mask. It is also the mask underneath in the case of applying 2 substance effects to a single layer. This Input is what is blended with Combine, Multiply, Subtract or the Invert option in the Substance Effect parameters.

If you want to take in other inputs that were imported into the project such as AO and Curvature, you can create these specific inputs to blend the the "mask" input.

Cheers,

Wes
the3dninja@adobe.com

cl

Ah thanks :).

What I also noticed was that the Input node really has to be blended somewhere in the graph right?

Ah thanks :).

What I also noticed was that the Input node really has to be blended somewhere in the graph right?

Yes, that is correct. We will be changing how this system works in a future update to be much more streamlined.

Cheers,
Wes
the3dninja@adobe.com

This is awesome... so far I've created a Gaussian Filter and an invert filter... very helpful :)