Author Topic: unity3d - substance on iOS plataform  (Read 3519 times)

Hi Guys, has anyone experienced something similar to this? I created my project using almost all substance shaders for my model and switched the platform to iOS and nothing works as should... below are my steps... but at this point I think my best solution is to bake or export my substance into individual textures... does anyone knows of an easy way to do this in unity? or anyone knows of a solution to this problem?

Unity 2018.1.0f2
Substance: 2.0.1

1. Create Project
2. Import the Substance plugin
3. Build scene with substance shaders
4. Everything looks good, and metallic shaders are reflective
5. Switch platform to iOS
6. All my substance shaders not longer looks the same
7. try to build and run the project to test if it works on my iPad.
8. Build failed, Console shows the following error for every substance shader:
DXT5 compressed textures are not supported when publishing to iPhone
Assets/Materials/AC_steel_worn.sbsar
Included from scene:
UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

9. Go into every substance graph and Load Behavior is grayed out... Change the Format from Compressed to Raw and my textures don't longer looks the same, all are darker and not as reflective...
10. Try to build and run again, and this time works, but its just does not look right....

Before switching platform to iOS

After switching platform to iOS

After changing the substance format from compressed to RAW:

Hi Guys, has anyone experienced something similar to this? I created my project using almost all substance shaders for my model and switched the platform to iOS and nothing works as should... below are my steps... but at this point I think my best solution is to bake or export my substance into individual textures... does anyone knows of an easy way to do this in unity? or anyone knows of a solution to this problem?

Unity 2018.1.0f2
Substance: 2.0.1

1. Create Project
2. Import the Substance plugin
3. Build scene with substance shaders
4. Everything looks good, and metallic shaders are reflective
5. Switch platform to iOS
6. All my substance shaders not longer looks the same
7. try to build and run the project to test if it works on my iPad.
8. Build failed, Console shows the following error for every substance shader:
DXT5 compressed textures are not supported when publishing to iPhone
Assets/Materials/AC_steel_worn.sbsar
Included from scene:
UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

9. Go into every substance graph and Load Behavior is grayed out... Change the Format from Compressed to Raw and my textures don't longer looks the same, all are darker and not as reflective...
10. Try to build and run again, and this time works, but its just does not look right....

Before switching platform to iOS

Hi,

Unfortunately, we don't support the mobile builds yet. The team is working on that now for our future update.

In order to get the substance to publish for mobile, you can set the compression to raw. However, we have another bug here were using Raw is removing the alpha for the metallic map and thus causing there to be no smoothness map.

I'm sorry to have these 2 issues blocking your workflow. We are working to get these resolved. Please stay tuned to our beta information page as we update the known issues with each release.

https://support.allegorithmic.com/documentation/display/integrations/Beta+Release+Information

Please let us know if you run into more issues or have feedback. We are releasing regular updates and should have these issues fixed soon.

Cheers,
wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Thank you Wes for the reply! So, if I already have my scene set up with substances... what would be the best workflow I should follow for using substance for my iPad dev? Would baking my textures in C4D be the only solution? Is there a better way you would recommend?

Thank you for the update!

Thank you Wes for the reply! So, if I already have my scene set up with substances... what would be the best workflow I should follow for using substance for my iPad dev? Would baking my textures in C4D be the only solution? Is there a better way you would recommend?

I've written a tool to export Substance textures directly inside of Unity. The thread for that and other Unity-Substance tools can be found here. Unfortunately, the bug that Wes mentioned affects exported texture alpha, so this isn't an end all solution for now. It should work as a stopgap solution once that alpha bug is fixed (which I hope is relatively soon).

Added support for compressed textures to my export substance textures tool. Should be able to provide a workaround for iOS until platform support is added in.