Author Topic: Height maps in unity (integration and artifacts)  (Read 3581 times)

Hello,
I think I may have some misunderstandings about how to integrate height maps from substance painter into unity.
I've been getting this artifact:

it moves along the meshe's surface as it rotates and worsens with height map intensity.

I've set up my export configuration like this:

I've also noticed that my normal map also seems to contain the height data, which in this case actually is sufficient for the project I'm working on, but I want to be able to use parallax/height in the future so I'd like to figure out why I'm having issues here.

I'm not sure whether this is an issue with my mesh/uvs, exporting from substance painter, unity, or the way I approach the workflow in general.

Any help is greatly appreciated,
thanks,
-Nolan

Hello,
I think I may have some misunderstandings about how to integrate height maps from substance painter into unity.
I've been getting this artifact:

it moves along the meshe's surface as it rotates and worsens with height map intensity.

I've set up my export configuration like this:

I've also noticed that my normal map also seems to contain the height data, which in this case actually is sufficient for the project I'm working on, but I want to be able to use parallax/height in the future so I'd like to figure out why I'm having issues here.

I'm not sure whether this is an issue with my mesh/uvs, exporting from substance painter, unity, or the way I approach the workflow in general.

Any help is greatly appreciated,
thanks,
-Nolan

Hi Nolan,

Which shader are you using in Unity? With parallax/occlusion, this can cause lots of trouble because of how the technique is rendered. What you are seeing is a typical issue that comes from using parallax occlusion. Extreme angles will cause artifacts and care must be taken to restrict the number of situations where an object would be viewed edge on. The visual artifacts are due to sampling aliasing at grazing angles.

Cheers,
Wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Hi Nolan,

Which shader are you using in Unity? With parallax/occlusion, this can cause lots of trouble because of how the technique is rendered. What you are seeing is a typical issue that comes from using parallax occlusion. Extreme angles will cause artifacts and care must be taken to restrict the number of situations where an object would be viewed edge on. The visual artifacts are due to sampling aliasing at grazing angles.

Cheers,
Wes

Hey Wes,
I'm just using Unity's standard shader.
heightmaps are still a new concept to me, when you say "care must be taken to restrict the number of situations where an object would be viewed edge on" does this mean that height maps are not generally viable for objects such as props that can often be viewed from many angles, but is more limited to objects such as floors and walls?

Hi Nolan,

Cheers,
Wes

Hey Wes,
I'm just using Unity's standard shader.
heightmaps are still a new concept to me, when you say "care must be taken to restrict the number of situations where an object would be viewed edge on" does this mean that height maps are not generally viable for objects such as props that can often be viewed from many angles, but is more limited to objects such as floors and walls?

Hi,

Yeah, that can be the case. It's an issue with parallax occlusion. The height map in the Standard shader is used for parallax occlusion. It can give a extra effect of depth, but at angles, it will fall apart due to the sampling.

Cheers,
Wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja