Author Topic: Substance in Unity 2018: Updated info with each release  (Read 39164 times)

Hey Everyone,

We have released Substance in Unity on the Asset Store. We are in an open beta phase, so we suggest caution on using the plugin in commercial projects. We will be providing regular updates to the plugin as we progress through the beta and move towards a commercial release. Please stay tuned to this thread for updates.

Supported Unity Versions:
During the beta phase of Substance in Unity, we are supporting the official releases of Unity 2018 and the Unity 2019 beta.

UPDATE: Substance In Unity 2.2.2
released:  February 11th, 2019

- Fixed a bug where the Unity default texture GUI was being overwritten when the Substance In Unity plugin was installed
- Fixed a bug where EditorApplication.delayCall being set caused issues with other plugins
- Fixed a crash that occurred when using non-latin characters in a project name

Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 08:17:03 pm
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

How is the development coming along?

Since it has been quite a while, you might want to consider to release an update for the plugin, even if the update process isn't yet as smooth as we all want it to be. After all, those who don't want to do the manual upgrade workaround can simply defer updating. The rest can at least check out the improvements you have made since the last update.

How is the development coming along?

Since it has been quite a while, you might want to consider to release an update for the plugin, even if the update process isn't yet as smooth as we all want it to be. After all, those who don't want to do the manual upgrade workaround can simply defer updating. The rest can at least check out the improvements you have made since the last update.

Hi,

We've released an update since launch and are currently at 2.0.1 on the Asset Store. We are working on the 3rd update now which is adding mobile support for iOS and Android. We can't speak to the release date just yet for our next update. I will start posting updates on where we are with the plugin.

Cheers,
Wes
the3dninja@adobe.com

I noticed updating from 2.0.1 to 2.0.2 will break all current substances in the project, as it did with the last update.

Is this expected to happen with every beta update?
Staggart Creations
[ WebsiteTwitterUnity Connect ]

I noticed updating from 2.0.1 to 2.0.2 will break all current substances in the project, as it did with the last update.

We are working to resolve this issue. Our goal is for this not to happen with each beta, but unfortunately some changes we make also change the GUID values and this is what causes the substance in the project to break. Our next update will cause this issue as well since we moved the plugin into a new folder as requested through feedback. We are very aware of this issue and we make it goal to not have the updates break projects. During this beta phase, it is sometimes unavoidable. We will do our best to make sure it doesn't happen.

Cheers,
Wes
the3dninja@adobe.com

We are working to resolve this issue. Our goal is for this not to happen with each beta, but unfortunately some changes we make also change the GUID values and this is what causes the substance in the project to break. Our next update will cause this issue as well since we moved the plugin into a new folder as requested through feedback. We are very aware of this issue and we make it goal to not have the updates break projects. During this beta phase, it is sometimes unavoidable. We will do our best to make sure it doesn't happen.

Cheers,
Wes

Thanks for your reply, Wes.

I understand a beta version is prone to major changes such as these. I'll keep an eye out for future updates!
Staggart Creations
[ WebsiteTwitterUnity Connect ]

Hi,

We've released an update since launch and are currently at 2.0.1 on the Asset Store. We are working on the 3rd update now which is adding mobile support for iOS and Android. We can't speak to the release date just yet for our next update. I will start posting updates on where we are with the plugin.

Cheers,
Wes

I understand that the development of the plugin takes a lot of time (doubly so during summer holidays) and that you can't guarantee any release dates. Although at first it looked like you were aiming for a monthly update cycle.

I appreciate any communication of status updates every now and then either here or on the corresponding thread on Unity's forum.

Thank you for your continued efforts.

Hi,

Cheers,
Wes

I understand that the development of the plugin takes a lot of time (doubly so during summer holidays) and that you can't guarantee any release dates. Although at first it looked like you were aiming for a monthly update cycle.

I appreciate any communication of status updates every now and then either here or on the corresponding thread on Unity's forum.

Thank you for your continued efforts.

Hi,

With our first releases, it ended up that we hit a monthly release. However, some of the updates are taking a bit longer. Rest assured, we are not taking any breaks through the summer : ) We are working hard to get the updates out but also make sure that we remove as many bugs as possible. We definitely understand that the wait can be frustrating. 

Cheers,
Wes
the3dninja@adobe.com

@Wes McDermott

I see this thread is pretty active, so I hope you will be able to help.

I just imported the 2.02 package into Unity 2018.2.2, and it's completely broken.

Specifically:

I had to delete a duplicate of the websockets DLL, since I already have another package (probably Photon) that imports the same DLL. So that's OK, the project compiles fine after that.

However, when clicking on any .sbsar file, a range of script errors come up in the console window:

-------
Recursive Serialization is not supported. You can't dereference a PPtr while loading. (Constructors of C# classes may not load objects either. See stacktrace.)
Recursive Serialization is not supported. You can't dereference a PPtr while loading. (Constructors of C# classes may not load objects either. See stacktrace.)
Assertion failed on expression: 'm_ScriptCache != NULL && m_ScriptCache->klass'
-------

This leaves me stuck with a lot of broken Substance materials in the project.

I'm more than happy to downgrade to the previous package version, but I can't find it anywhere.

Please advise... it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

@Wes McDermott

I see this thread is pretty active, so I hope you will be able to help.

I just imported the 2.02 package into Unity 2018.2.2, and it's completely broken.

Specifically:

I had to delete a duplicate of the websockets DLL, since I already have another package (probably Photon) that imports the same DLL. So that's OK, the project compiles fine after that.

However, when clicking on any .sbsar file, a range of script errors come up in the console window:

-------
Assertion failed on expression: 'm_ScriptCache != NULL && m_ScriptCache->klass'
-------

This leaves me stuck with a lot of broken Substance materials in the project.

I'm more than happy to downgrade to the previous package version, but I can't find it anywhere.

Please advise... it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi,

Unfortunately, the DLL will occur. We are using the same third party library as a few other plugins. This is used by the livelink part of the plugin and we will be working on this after the substance engine plugin is out of beta.

I spoke with the devs and they mentioned the errors usually only occurred when updating the plugin to one of the versions that broke substances. Were you updating from a previous project? We made many changes in the upcoming 2.1 build that looks to fix errors like this.

Cheers,
Wes

the3dninja@adobe.com

I spoke with the devs and they mentioned the errors usually only occurred when updating the plugin to one of the versions that broke substances. Were you updating from a previous project? We made many changes in the upcoming 2.1 build that looks to fix errors like this.

Cheers,
Wes

UPDATE: fixed it by copying the broken .sbsar files into a new folder WITHOUT copying the .meta files, so that the .meta files are regenerated by Unity.

I was initially running an older version of the tool (not sure of the version number) on Unity 2017. Then a few months back, I went over to 2018, followed by 2018.1 and 2018.2. When I reported this issue, I was on 2018.2.2, having just upgraded to v2.02 of your tool. I've since gone to 2018.2.6, but the importing still gives errors.

I also tried to completely delete the Substance related folders, then installed 2.02 clean onto Unity 2018.2.6. So maybe this is related to other meta-data, and I might need to delete some other files to get this to install clean?

Thanks for the help!
Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 09:59:13 am

Hi Wes,

It's been quite some time since the last info-update on the plugin. What is the planned release schedule for the 2.1 update? I know that you can't specify any dates but a time frame would be nice (1 - 3 months, 2019 Q1?).

I hope that you're not delaying it unnecessarily like trying to make it a massive update (which takes obviously a long time to get done). Given the rudimentary state of the plugin and since it is slated as beta anyway, I definitely would prefer a more incremental approach when self-contained features are stable enough for public testing.

Hi Wes,

It's been quite some time since the last info-update on the plugin. What is the planned release schedule for the 2.1 update? I know that you can't specify any dates but a time frame would be nice (1 - 3 months, 2019 Q1?).

I hope that you're not delaying it unnecessarily like trying to make it a massive update (which takes obviously a long time to get done). Given the rudimentary state of the plugin and since it is slated as beta anyway, I definitely would prefer a more incremental approach when self-contained features are stable enough for public testing.

Hi,

I'm very sorry for this very late reply. We have wanted to get updates out much sooner. We just released the 2.1 update today on the Unity Asset Store. Please check our blog post.
https://www.allegorithmic.com/blog/substance-unity-210-mobile-support-and-more

We have also updated the docs.
https://support.allegorithmic.com/documentation/display/integrations/Beta+Release+Information

With that said, we are looking at doing more frequent updates.

Cheers,
Wes
the3dninja@adobe.com

Just wanted to express my appreciation for the continued support Allegorithmic is providing for the Unity plugin. I know the sudden and unexpected decision by Unity to drop their own in-house Substance Plugin really threw you guys for a loop.  It looks like this latest update is a huge improvement! I've been holding off on updating to Unity 2018 for a few reasons, but the uncertainty and disruption of the Substance situation has been one of the biggest factors. I'm very encouraged to see that the upgrade process has been essentially made transparent at this point! So, well done to the team that is working on this!  ;D

The icing on the cake would be GPU engine support. So I am hopeful that's coming up next!
Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 04:41:18 pm

Uniy 2018.2.11.f1 with the substance plugin imported from the asset store. Attempting to import https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/3d/characters/humanoids/realistic-mannequin-doll-character-9489 from Asset Store fails with multiple error message pop-ups:

Asset Store Substance Import Glitch!
Remove package from project browser and re-import it from Unity 2017...
Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 02:52:10 am