Author Topic: Substance in Unity 2018: Updated info with each release  (Read 31796 times)

The current version of Substance in Unity on the asset store doesn't seem to be compatible with the current official release of Unity (2018.3.8f1). It just keeps throwing "Substance engine failed to load." when starting unity and then anything that uses the Substance namespace won't work due to missing assembly reference.

EDIT: In case anyone discovers this, it turns out that the Substance plugin is very sensitive to the location of files in the project directory. I had moved a folder to another location, which worked in previous versions but no longer works. Deleting the Substance engine directories entirely and re-importing it put them in the right place and the error disappeared. No guarantee that it works, but at least the error has stopped.
Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 03:53:55 pm

Over on the unity asset store there is more chatter from the staff for substance integration saying that things are looking up "We have been working on increasing our update schedule. We are moving to monthly updates and are looking to move out of beta very soon. We have large update coming which fixes many of the stability issues. "

What time scale are we looking at here? this is the most welcome news I have had in a long time!

I wondering about ETA of the next version too. Summoning @wes

I'm very sorry everyone for this super late reply. We are focusing on getting updates out much quicker. We had some issues in our latest sprint that derailed our monthly release. We did just drop 2.3.2 on the Asset store and are now getting back to are regularly schedule updates.

Cheers,
Wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

I was really hoping runtime generation on mobile would be fixed in 2.3.2, but sadly it isn't.
It still crashes even on flagship android devices when RenderSubstancesAsync() is called.
Is there any workaround for this?

If not I hope it's fixed in 2.4.2, then I think the asset is solid enough for me to start using in my project.
Thanks.

We had some issues in our latest sprint that derailed our monthly release. We did just drop 2.3.2 on the Asset store and are now getting back to are regularly schedule updates.

Cheers,
Wes

Has this gone from a derailment into a train wreck?  we coming up to 3 months and no new version, no community update, not much at all, I am one for a mobile fix, along with a more control over the plugin at runtime.

this is a quote from your airstream asset on the unity asset store:
"See how substance allows you to change the look & feel of your game in real time while also heavily reducing the size of the package!"
Size has been somewhat redundant for PC even since that asset came out, most PC games don't have a download/install size issue, I have always thought this is most useful for mobile/web based games, which the current version has issues with.

The point im wondering is for us unity3d users whats the point in substance designer if we cant use the benefit of a small file size on mobile and to edit parameters of said substance at runtime, might as well just use substance painter (or paint shop pro etc) and render textures out and package them with the game.

I am just a little frustrated for those of us who purchased substance designer with the promise of working with unity (which it was working well until the integrated substance was removed from unity) to be left in the dark.

I understand there might of been changes when substance was purchased by adobe, but for an adobe product this seems to be a very poor standard.

We had some issues in our latest sprint that derailed our monthly release. We did just drop 2.3.2 on the Asset store and are now getting back to are regularly schedule updates.

Cheers,
Wes

Has this gone from a derailment into a train wreck?  we coming up to 3 months and no new version, no community update, not much at all, I am one for a mobile fix, along with a more control over the plugin at runtime.

this is a quote from your airstream asset on the unity asset store:
"See how substance allows you to change the look & feel of your game in real time while also heavily reducing the size of the package!"
Size has been somewhat redundant for PC even since that asset came out, most PC games don't have a download/install size issue, I have always thought this is most useful for mobile/web based games, which the current version has issues with.

The point im wondering is for us unity3d users whats the point in substance designer if we cant use the benefit of a small file size on mobile and to edit parameters of said substance at runtime, might as well just use substance painter (or paint shop pro etc) and render textures out and package them with the game.

I am just a little frustrated for those of us who purchased substance designer with the promise of working with unity (which it was working well until the integrated substance was removed from unity) to be left in the dark.

I understand there might of been changes when substance was purchased by Adobe, but for an adobe product, this seems to be a very poor standard.

I completely understand your frustration. I am not going to making any excuses, as we did get very behind in our schedule. We recently released 2.3.4 on the Asset Store and we are also working with the Unity graphics team to get support. With 2.3.4 we made a lot of improvements towards stabilizing the plugin and we are working on the 2.4 and 2.4.1 releases.

I can provide some information on the file sizes. With the original plugin, we had source code access and this allowed us to perform operations before the player loaded. What we did under "Build on Level Load" was to set all of the Substance textures to a really small file size such as 32x32 to reduce the application size. Unfortunately, we no longer have the ability to do this within the scriptable object framework. We are speaking with Unity to see if they can support us, at the engine level.

With full source code access, our team was able to do many things in the plugin that we can no longer do. This has proven to be problematic for us in our development. However, this is our problem and something we do not want to push onto our users. Very regrettably, our development challenges to rebuild the original plugin without source code have been affecting our users. I don't want to use not having source code access as an excuse either. I just wanted to be upfront about where we are in development. 

I know this sounds like a lot of lip service. I would feel the same way as a user reading this. We've internally restructured our release plans to get back to frequent updates and our core focus is on stability. I can also say that the plugin was not affected by Adobe. To be honest, we were having lots of trouble with the plugin long before joining Adobe. However, under Adobe we will now have additional resources.

I am always available and if you need any help, please feel free to contact me directly. 

Cheers,
Wes
the3dninja@adobe.com

@ Wes McDermott - I appreciate the update here, I think being open helps, with no communication for months and not knowing exactly (or even partially) whats happening is the most frustrating, the fact the plugin is still being developed is great start.

The thing I would ask the most is a roadmap of whats being done, whats to come and an estimated date or build number (if your planning on releasing it more often) or even a dev blog that highlights whats been done in the last week/2 weeks/month
I completely understand that there are unforeseen issues that delay development, games development is massively prone to this, but the one thing that can help mitigate this is keeping the community up to date with progress.

@ Wes McDermott - I appreciate the update here, I think being open helps, with no communication for months and not knowing exactly (or even partially) whats happening is the most frustrating, the fact the plugin is still being developed is great start.

The thing I would ask the most is a roadmap of whats being done, whats to come and an estimated date or build number (if your planning on releasing it more often) or even a dev blog that highlights whats been done in the last week/2 weeks/month
I completely understand that there are unforeseen issues that delay development, games development is massively prone to this, but the one thing that can help mitigate this is keeping the community up to date with progress.

We totally agree on this. We've been very bad with going dark these last months. We have been restructuring the process for Unity and we've also been discussing providing a public roadmap. We are working to improve this plugin and our communication. Thank you very much for your feedback.

Cheers,
Wes
the3dninja@adobe.com

Just checking in, haven't been around these parts for a while now as I just couldn't wait for the plugin and had to move on with other things.
However I am now back using it, its looking somewhat better than it was, however...
Any update on a public road map? or any idea when it will be out of alpha/beta and support for all of unity's render pipelines will be fully supported and, also, when more platforms will be officially supported?

Whats the update schedule looking like? its been 2 months from the last release on the asset store, how often are we looking at updates these days?