Author Topic: Selling Unity Asset store packages with plugin included  (Read 624 times)

Hi

We are selling 3D asset packs on the unity asset store that uses substances. This has worked just fine up until now. However with the new plugin our package is breaking for new users of Unity 2018_1. All the materials get reset and gets taken off all the 3D models. We need to get a new working version up and running asap! And from what I could figure out is that if we export out a new version of the package we will have to export WITH the plugin to make sure everything works fine for our customers.

So my question is, are we allowed to redistribute the plugin inside our paid package? Or is there a workaround? Can I export the fixed version without the plugin, give instructions that the user have to install your plugin first and then import our new package? Because this did not work with the old version of the package.

Hi

We are selling 3D asset packs on the unity asset store that uses substances. This has worked just fine up until now. However with the new plugin our package is breaking for new users of Unity 2018_1. All the materials get reset and gets taken off all the 3D models. We need to get a new working version up and running asap! And from what I could figure out is that if we export out a new version of the package we will have to export WITH the plugin to make sure everything works fine for our customers.

So my question is, are we allowed to redistribute the plugin inside our paid package? Or is there a workaround? Can I export the fixed version without the plugin, give instructions that the user have to install your plugin first and then import our new package? Because this did not work with the old version of the package.

Hi,

These are very good points. Thanks very much for your feedback. We can't allow the distribution of the Substance Plugin outside of our Asset Store Page. This provides issues with copyright via distribution and would also lead to fragmentation with updates for the plugin.

The way the meta file is handled in Unity presents lots of issues for us as a plugin and this is something that we can't control. The meta file is what Unity creates to store any changed information so any changes to the substance may be stored in the meta file. Our new substance object and the old integration's proceduralMaterial are not compatible. Even though we can create a substance from the sbsar file used in your asset, we can't get back any of the old information stored in the meta file.

If you create a new updated version of your asset for 2018 specifically, it may work for users who download the asset and update the new substance plugin. But if your assets are uploaded to the asset store from 2017 projects, it will not work. Unity has no way to tell that the material once referenced is the same as the newly created one. All the internal Unity ID's that the substance has are regenerated on import and are very different from what they were before so it simply cannot reconnect automatically.

Could you please contact me at wes.mcdermott@allegorithmic.com. If possible, can I get a voucher for your asset and we can test it internally.

I know this is not ideal and is a lot of trouble for asset store sellers. There is really no way for us to provide a solution in this regard. This issue was brought up by other Unity users to the Unity team on their forums as well. In this case, the solution would need to come from Unity.

Cheers,
Wes

Integrations Product Manager / Training
wes.mcdermott@allegorithmic.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Thanks for the response, I've sent you an email.