Author Topic: Diana and David: Tony Clark entry  (Read 13340 times)

Marty McFly.....  Lots of different layers and different fabric types.  It will be a huuuge challenge for me, and I think David will look excellent in this outfit  :P

Let's do this!

I'm starting with the two under shirts.  I will no doubt adjust the patterns a LOT as I go. 

A quick note, I noticed that the simulation was running a lot slower than I was used to.  Then I saw that the Simulation type had gotten stuck on "Simulate (Complete)" when testing out the animation to posed view that comes with the scene.  If you are running into that issue, switch it back to "Simulate (Normal)" while working and that should help speed things along.  But I imagine "Simulate (Complete)" must be necessary during animation.

I added in a base pattern for the jeans, and I'm still working on the overall fit and placement of seam details.

I made some progress today on the jacket, and updated the white undershirt around the collar.  For the jacket, I want to try and match the custom design and baggy look from the movie as much as possible.  It's starting to get crazy with so many layers, but I want to get everything in there before refining the details just to make sure it can all work together.  I spend a lot of time freezing/disabling some of the patterns while I work on a specific section.

This is looking great!
I actually had the same idea but you beat me to it and you are doing an awesome job. How are you going to deal with the braces - as accessories or as a garment piece?
Thanks for posting these WIPs

This is looking great!
I actually had the same idea but you beat me to it and you are doing an awesome job. How are you going to deal with the braces - as accessories or as a garment piece?
Thanks for posting these WIPs

Thank you Courtney!  I suspected this might be a popular choice and wanted to put something up fast.  For the braces/suspenders, I'll definitely do those as a garment if I make them, and create any metal pieces as an accessory.  I was thinking they might not be very visible in the final pose, and so I'll probably wait until later to decide to add them.

Some more WIP shots below!

Looks promising :)

Looks promising :)

Thanks Vincent!

I've been adjusting the base patterns a lot.  I think the orange vest I have currently is too short.  My rough plan is to get the clothing into the final pose where the patterns are as close to the final shape as possible, and then I'll add further seam and stitch details from there.   

With so many layers, it's tricky to work them them all at once in the final pose, but I'll figure it out. 

I managed to get the layers working much better together in the final pose.  It took a while, lots of trial and error.  The biggest thing that helped was to lower the collision thickness on all of the garments, as well as the avatar itself.  This helped created enough space in the tight fitting areas for all of the clothing layers to fit without constantly fighting. 

I also adjusted the base pattern for the vest itself to get it to fit better, looking closer at actual vest patterns for clues. 

Now that the clothing is sitting close to its final position, I will work on detailing and making it look good in the final pose. 

I'd definitely like to add in accessories like his shoes, watch, maybe headphones.  But first I will focus on making the clothing look as good as it can. 

Progress shots below.

I added more detail to the denim jacket, like inner fabric on the arms, and seam details.  I added in some suspenders to hold back the white shirt just a bit.  I found that the jacket was getting pushed out a hair too far without them.

I played around a lot today with the settings on the orange vest.  I'm happy with the current look and probably won't change it too much further than what you see here.

Just a few more details to add to the pants, shirt, and denim jacket!

Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 01:54:43 am

Great stuff Clark! Interesting that you made circle cuts in the clothes accounting for the buttons. I assume you'll do the meshes of those in another app?

Great stuff Clark! Interesting that you made circle cuts in the clothes accounting for the buttons. I assume you'll do the meshes of those in another app?

Thanks Justo, that's correct.  I'll build the hardware bits outside of MD, but I like to have placeholder circle cuts for a couple of reasons:

They help as a visual guide to make sure I'm spacing out the internal lines correctly.  And in some instances they are helpful to create different simulation effects, either by sewing them together directly or cutting them out and freezing them to help create micro folds along their borders. 

I've been working on lowering the particle distance piece by piece and adjusting the simulation settings to get a final look to the cloth.  I struggled a lot with the puffy vest collar around the neck, but eventually found a way that worked.  I really like how it looks from the back now. 

I added some padding on the interior of the vest as well by using layer clone and running the simulation.  The scene is getting pretty dense and so I find it's helpful to only activate the garments that are necessary to achieve a specific look.

I'm going to finish adding stitches where necessary, and play with the cloth just a bit more before working on the UVs.  I'm looking forward to trying out the new UV tools in 7.5! 

Good job. It is very interesting to observe the process.

Dude! Some seriously good work! I'm really impressed how you have all those layers sim'ing ontop of one another! Do you keep the Layer assignments on for each pattern or is it just MD magic? ;)