Author Topic: Read me first! Rules and Q&A  (Read 11770 times)

Hi, can I add fur on the clothes in Maya? Do we need to create an environment for the statue? And can I render the scene in Maya (Arnold) ?

First question, not sure...I know in MD you can make fur, hair etc in it, but .....ya most use Maya or some other 3d program.  Number 2, no we do not...  3, in the rules it says we need to render in Substance Painter, there is a free shot, so not sure what that means,  other than we can render in anything ....  but devs will need to finish answering those, as I'm unsure so hopefully they do as I would like to know as well.
Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 10:52:38 am

Hey guys, what a great contest, can't wait to start making something cool! Just a few things to clarify:
1. While in Painter/Designer, are we allowed to use textures/alphas/materials from places other than Substance Source? For example, can I use an alpha I made myself in Photoshop, or a detail normal map bought from TexturingXYZ?
2. Could we import clothing hardware into the project? Stuff like belt buckles/strap fasteners/other rigid elements. Would they be considered accessories? Or perhaps they can be added in third-party software? Thanks in advance!

Hey guys, what a great contest, can't wait to start making something cool! Just a few things to clarify:
1. While in Painter/Designer, are we allowed to use textures/alphas/materials from places other than Substance Source? For example, can I use an alpha I made myself in Photoshop, or a detail normal map bought from TexturingXYZ?

2. Could we import clothing hardware into the project? Stuff like belt buckles/strap fasteners/other rigid elements. Would they be considered accessories? Or perhaps they can be added in third-party software? Thanks in advance!

1-->"All texturing must be done with the Substance suite. This software includes Substance Designer, Substance Painter, Substance B2M and Substance Source." This mean if you created an alpha in Photoshop or used an external detail normal, you must still apply it on your textures within Substance painter or Substance Designer

2 --> yes you are allowed to import rigid elements
Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 12:27:57 am

Hi, can I add fur on the clothes in Maya? Do we need to create an environment for the statue? And can I render the scene in Maya (Arnold) ?

First question, not sure...I know in MD you can make fur, hair etc in it, but .....ya most use Maya or some other 3d program.  Number 2, no we do not...  3, in the rules it says we need to render in Substance Painter, there is a free shot, so not sure what that means,  other than we can render in anything ....  but devs will need to finish answering those, as I'm unsure so hopefully they do as I would like to know as well.

Render have to be done in SP. That what we'll evaluate

Render have to be done in SP. That what we'll evaluate

As far as Free shot then, what do you mean by free shot? 

Hi All,
I am pretty new here and gave a thought in taking part in the contest.
I have few questions and it would be great if anybody kindly answer them:
1) If i need to put shoes in David foot i need to lift it a bit up or drag the podium a bit down, can I do that?
2)Do I need to place the accessories like watch shoes etc in Marvelous file also or is it fine to keep it in final submission of substance painter file?
3)Can I bring the cloth model in Maya/3ds Max to layout and optimize the UV before taking it to substance for texturing?

Best of luck to all the contestants.

Question - It says we can remove the bow and arrow from Diana but what about the fig leaf? If it won't be seen in the end result can we delete it?

Hey Vince/Jeremie,

Sorry to bother you with more questions but:

1-Please answer if we're allowed to modify UVs in another app, like it's been asked already. Haven't had a definitive answer from you on that yet.
1-Are we allowed to assign different materials inside another app, so as to choose which clothes go in which texture set? Or, if we can do that step inside MD/SP, I'm all ears.

I would day yes on this, as long as you don't modify the topology, and the final poses (make sure you don't break anything)
Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 04:15:53 pm

How many Texture pages/UV Layout can be used . For Example  Cloths in 1 texture page and Accessories in another texture page

An update for Marvelous Designer came out since I first installed the trial. Can I install that or will it screw up the trial?

Hello!  Two quick questions -

1)  I noticed on the forum that many people are choosing pre-existing costumes from movies or fashion runways.  Does this breach the terms and conditions ?  Should we make sure that it is completely original work ?

(Use of any asset that would infringe upon a copyright or any other intellectual property right is prohibited.
Any artwork deemed to be the same or too obviously similar to one currently published by any other artist will be disqualified.)

2) For the 'free shot' if we own the license to the software, can we use different software to render this particular shot ?  (but make sure to use Substance IRAY for the basic shot).

Thanks!

Question - It says we can remove the bow and arrow from Diana but what about the fig leaf? If it won't be seen in the end result can we delete it?

Bump. I'd also like to get rid of the fig leaf if possible.

Hello! It`s necessary to create a WIP or can I send my work right away?

To submit the entry as a student do I have to be enrolled in an academic institution?
For example, if I graduated last year I cannot submit my entry as a 'student' and must send it in under the 'pro' category?

Hi everyone,

Great challenge! I've read all the rules and posts attentively, but no one else seems to have asked:

1) Can we change the pose of the model?
2) Is painting on the model allowed? The YouTube video seemed to suggest it, and the rules only say not to modify the mesh.
3) Can we install the trial on more than one computer, and is it possible to have a follow-up trial on the same computer? (I share a desktop computer with my partner, who would like to try out the system at a later point in time.)

Thank you in advance!
Sophie