Author Topic: Mantra red render  (Read 5590 times)

Hi all,

I´m pretty new to Houdini and was exited to test out substances. Problem for me is that the render turns out red, I think it means that textures are missing. The viewport shows the substance correct. I just wanted to ask if this is unusual or if there are some topics to adress. If there are hint´s where to look I would be grateful.

Thank you in advance

Using the renderview it throws the following error

[16:30:38] mantra: Could not find VEX shader 'Œ' (either .vfl or .vex)
[16:30:39] mantra: Unable to load texture 'C:/Users/../AppData/Local/Temp/hfs3D06_rock_wall_normal.png'
[16:30:39] mantra: Unable to load texture 'C:/Users/../AppData/Local/Temp/hfs3D05_rock_wall_basecolor.png'
[16:30:39] mantra: Unable to load texture 'C:/Users/../AppData/Local/Temp/hfs3D07_rock_wall_roughness.png'
[16:30:39] mantra: Unable to load texture 'C:/Users/../AppData/Local/Temp/hfs3D08_rock_wall_emissive.png'

Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 04:43:38 pm

Hi christian.mintert,

Do you get any errors printed out when you render to mantra?

Hi Josh,

I edited my first post but you have been faster... ;)

[16:30:38] mantra: Could not find VEX shader 'Œ' (either .vfl or .vex)
[16:30:39] mantra: Unable to load texture 'C:/Users/../AppData/Local/Temp/hfs3D06_rock_wall_normal.png'
[16:30:39] mantra: Unable to load texture 'C:/Users/../AppData/Local/Temp/hfs3D05_rock_wall_basecolor.png'
[16:30:39] mantra: Unable to load texture 'C:/Users/../AppData/Local/Temp/hfs3D07_rock_wall_roughness.png'
[16:30:39] mantra: Unable to load texture 'C:/Users/../AppData/Local/Temp/hfs3D08_rock_wall_emissive.png'

I tried a simple one of my own materials and it worked

Problems persisted with this one

https://share.allegorithmic.com/libraries/965

Are there any restrictions how a material has to be set up and if so what are they?

Thanks for considering.

a Pink (this is pink not red) render is always an indication that mantra can't find a texture.
it's possible that the texture path within the substance is bad - or has a weird character in it that Houdini doesn't like.

I just tried this substance in Houdini 15.5.557
and I can see the texture in the viewport but get grey when I render with this error:
[13:04:41] mantra: /shop/principledshader1/SurfaceVexCode:7171:20-30: Error 1066: Call to undefined function 'getuvobject'.
/shop/principledshader1/SurfaceVexCode:7172:25-40: Error 1066: Call to undefined function 'getuvhiresobject'.

[13:04:41] mantra: Failed to resolve VEX code opdef:/Shop/principledshader?SurfaceVexCode
Senior Technical Director - SideFX

there is a fix coming in tomorrows daily build for the error I encountered.
you might want to give that one a try.
Senior Technical Director - SideFX

I noticed in the initial post the errors

C:/Users/../AppData/Local/Temp/hfs3D06_rock_wall_normal.png

Is that you shortening it? That doesn't look like a valid path. I'm wondering if you did that, or if Houdini is trying to find that path and failing.

Was also testing out houdini (version 16.633) and substance.

Getting this in the IPR render...
mantra: Could not find VEX shader 'C' (either .vfl or .vex)  and does not render the texture

The Mplay render seems to do a better job and gives me something but not sure it's totally accurate.

I'm using this shared substance...rust_dark_metal.sbsar

Hi, I have the same problem, Is there any solution to fix it?

I made everything as instructed, and showing up in viewport nicely. I am trying with mantra, not just with ipr, but I still got the same message that it cannot find the texture, that should be in the temp folder:

14:11:11] mantra: Unable to load texture 'C:/Users/LASZLO~1/Laszlo/AppData/Local/Temp/houdini_temp/hfs921B_Sand_normal.png'
[14:11:11] mantra: Unable to load texture 'C:/Users/LASZLO~1/Laszlo/AppData/Local/Temp/houdini_temp/hfs920A_Sand_diffuse.png'
[14:11:11] mantra: Unable to load texture 'C:/Users/LASZLO~1/Laszlo/AppData/Local/Temp/houdini_temp/hfs921C_Sand_specular.png'

I tried with different subtance files as well, I got the same problem. I have updated houdini to the newest version as well.

Thanks
Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 11:36:29 pm

:( hi guys, share the same problem :/

houdini Version 16.5.536 

is posible change the folder?

[21:27:57] mantra: Unable to load texture 'C:/Users/CRISTI~1/AppData/Local/Temp/houdini_temp/hfs8EC2_Collapse_monkey_normal.png'
[21:27:57] mantra: Unable to load texture 'C:/Users/CRISTI~1/AppData/Local/Temp/houdini_temp/hfs8DB7_Collapse_monkey_basecolor.png'
[21:27:57] mantra: Unable to load texture 'C:/Users/CRISTI~1/AppData/Local/Temp/houdini_temp/hfs8EC4_Collapse_monkey_metallic.png'
[21:27:57] mantra: Unable to load texture 'C:/Users/CRISTI~1/AppData/Local/Temp/houdini_temp/hfs8EC3_Collapse_monkey_roughness.png'

thanks