Author Topic: Substance Plugin 1.0.0 for 3ds Max 2018 and 2019 Released  (Read 65548 times)

@Mark042 We've seen a few errors with the menu, and have a ticket in to investigate its behavior. We've got a new release slated soon, but we may look into whether it can be addressed before that. If you can consistently reproduce it or find something that definitively makes it happen, that'd be a great help.
Software Engineer, Integrations
Maya, 3ds Max and Core Libraries

max 2019
the plugin seems to have installed - it appears in the main 3ds menu
when I hover or click it, nothing happens: there is no flyout

@Mark042 We've seen a few errors with the menu, and have a ticket in to investigate its behavior. We've got a new release slated soon, but we may look into whether it can be addressed before that. If you can consistently reproduce it or find something that definitively makes it happen, that'd be a great help.

By George, I believe I have a temporary solution that does NOT necessitate removing the ENU folder.

I made sure to save my menus in Customize User Interface and when the Substance plugin menu disappears I load the menus I had and voil√°, there it is.

I just happen to have mine saved as MaxStartUI.mnux

I hope this can be remedied in the update, but at least I have a solution that is relatively easy to deal with.

When I save, MAX will make mistakes.  [Application on Error.an err error has occurred and the application will now cloes ]

At the same time, it can not be converted into redshift material.     
[unknown property:'flip Y' in redshift_bump_map:redshift bump Map]
MAX2018
VRAY3.60.03
REDSHIFT2.46

When I save, MAX will make mistakes.  [Application on Error.an err error has occurred and the application will now cloes ]

At the same time, it can not be converted into redshift material.     
[unknown property:'flip Y' in redshift_bump_map:redshift bump Map]
MAX2018
VRAY3.60.03
REDSHIFT2.46

this is exactly what happens to me every time when trying to use this plugin with Redshift in 3Ds Max 2018  :(

As for the menu issue, it has not completely been resolved in the newest version of the plugin, but I honestly think it's Max's fault and not Allegorithmic's; not the plug-in's fault.

I save my custom user interfaces in the recommended AppData folder (Windows has an issue with saving ANYTHING to the Program Files folders anyway, but I'm sick of Max overwriting my user interfaces with updates, so I'm happy to use the AppData folders.  Well, Max keeps loading with the Program Files user interfaces instead of my user interfaces.  When I load mine, all issues are resolved.

Viewport will not display changes to a Substance parameter change unless user re-renders the scene or if the viewport setting is set to High Quality. This is tested in Scanline renderer. Can we get an update to allow previewing with viewport quality set to Standard without having to render the scene to see changes. It seems that the output is cached and doesn't update with parameter changes until scene is re-rendered in Standard mode.

Does anybody know if the plugin supports substances designed with Designer 2018.1 ?

Because when I load one in Max created with 2018.1, the material looks completely wrong (normals are flipped, no color information, etc...)

Thanks !

Is distributed rendering supported with this version?

Hi @jessepmartin@gmail.com,
This version does not yet support distributed rendering but this is a high priority. You can expect support for this within either 1.1 or 1.2 versions of the plugin.  :D

Cheers!

Hi Dan, Can you tell me if distributed rendering is supported now in version 2.1.1?  I see the changelogs mentioning that backburner rendering is now supported.

I did some tests of my own with corona and distributed rendering.  From what I can tell, it seems like it 's working, which is amazing, but I'm hesitant to roll it out to my render farm until it's confirmed that this is supported.

Thanks!

Hi team,

We seem to be getting a ParamBlock2 error with our Substance plugin. We're using 2.1.1 with 3dsmax 2019.2. Uninstalling the plugin solves the issue so we have narrowed it down to the Substance plugin. See link below for files:

https://leckiestudio.dattodrive.com/index.php/s/9jGurW1AsMU3Ghl

Any ideas what we can do (other than uninstalling and use bitmaps...) would be great to be able to use the plugin. Thanks!

I Encountered a problem, at least it seems like one ^^, with the substance Plugin tool
Im Using Max 2018 and Vray 3.60.04
The Plugin itself works fine for me in this setup, but theres a big bummer.

As my favourite renderfarm (Rebusfarm) is not supporting substance nodes I tried to bake the textures in the node with the substance Output settings -> Bake Outputs button.
When I copied my Vray material and put the new baked textures in, I got a "completely" different result (green does not turn into yellow, but you get what I mean).

I realy love this tool, as it is pretty fast and I get my stuff done realy quick, but as long as the baking node doesnt "work" I can not realy use it.
Or I m doing something COMPLETELY Wrong?!
Any suggestions?

All the best ^^

A New Problem appears.... not the best day.
After digging deeper in the rendering issue, described in the Post above I clicked "Apply" on the substance notification when it appears.
When I wanted to render a new test setup I encounterd the second and Third Screenshot and the app crashed.
It would be realy great to hear something that could help.

Greetings

Hi @sebastian-knueppel ,

For your different results, it's possible that there's a problem with the color space. If there's a setting on the file node to change that, then you might play around with that until it looks right. If there's no setting on the node, then you might need to use a color correction node after the file to apply a gamma value to it to correct the color space.

Is there a Substance node in the scene that currently has nothing populating it? It looks like it's attempting to operate on a Substance node that has no outputs. Those scripts can also be disabled in your render settings if you wish to remove them. If you have any more information on the setup of the scene, that would be well appreciated.

Best,

Galen Helfter
Software Engineer, Integrations
Maya, 3ds Max and Core Libraries

Thank you very much for the quick Reply,
as the scene is completely broken I m working on a new setup and gonna investigate if any of the nodes has a color space Issue...
I was thinking about something like that.

I also tried a comparision with substance player, where I exported textures of the same used Substance.
I realy had to gamma correct them when Importing because of the wrong colorspace.
When I compared them with the Textures baked out of the 3Ds Max- Substance tool There was already a difference, thats why I wasnt investiagte it further.

I ll let you know when I get more infos on that

Hi Galen Helfter
I tryied some new and different settings.
First of all there is a difference when you Export Bitmap and PNG (Jpeg will be tested next) colourwise.
I tried to show it with the attached picture.

I checked the Color Correction nodes of the Substance to Vray nodes.
Copied  and added them to a standard Vray MTL, plugged my Bitmaps and Pngs in them an switched the Color Correction nodes ON and Off...
Result is, either when switched On as when switched off, I dont get the result of the Substance Material.

At the moment I m not sure what to try else, maybe you have a new idea?

What you see:
Picture one is a comparison between all Materials

Picture two is a comparison between the Imported PNG Diffuse and the Diffuse created with the substance Material

All the best ^^