Author Topic: Create a texture set per UDIM tile Not working?  (Read 10968 times)

Create a texture set per UDIM tile Is not working on some meshes. I am exporting a low res fbx from modo and loading it into SP, all seems to work. I get the UDIM numbers as texture sets and I can bake maps (using the same low res mesh as a target).

Now, when I subdivide the same mesh in modo, freeze subdivisions and export a fresh fbx file, SP refuses to load the fbx with UDIM numbers, instead it uses the midi material names as the texture sets. Now when I try and bake the maps they are all coming out black.

Any one else had this problem?

Same problem here with Maya 2018. Has this been resolved?

Could you please attach or send me one of the meshes that doesn't work?

Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

I've had the same problem. Substance had probably problem with islands which was not properly fit in UDIMs but was a little bit overlaping to the above UDIMs. My solution which helped was to repack separated UDIMs with option to fit in properly:)

I am having the same problem tried both FBX and OBJ exports as well as repacking the UDIMs with UVLayoutPro..  WTF??

I'm having the same problem. 

Maya 2018.5
OSX 10.13.6
Substance Painter 2018.3.1 (Build 2619)

Please attach a log file : https://support.allegorithmic.com/documentation/display/SPDOC/Exporting+the+log+file

We will also need some example mesh to reproduce the issue, otherwise we won't be able to investigate further the problem.
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

I had the same problem and tried every different export setting for alembic, OBJ and FBX.

I solved it by selecting every object individually (in Maya) and exporting that (Alembic and OBJ) rather than selecting the group my geo was in and exporting that. While Painter could see that I had shells in multiple UDIMs it used them as one, and put them under the Default Material texture set.

I think something about the Maya group-transform node being what was selected and exported caused problems with UVs (most likely do with history and what nodes are connected to what). For example, with the UV editor open, when I select the group with the Geo in, it selects the geo in the veiwport and for most uses, every object in that group is selected and can be worked on in Maya. However, the UV editor while it may show the UV shells, it does not show the UDIM areas those shell cover. This can be seen when you turn on the in-built checker texture in the editor, which does not appear in the UDIM area that a shell is in, in the editor as it should. But it does texture the model in the viewport. If each object in a group is individually selected then the UDIM area any UV shells cover now have the checker texture in that UDIM in the UV editor.

This makes me think that there is a disconnect between the UDIM coordinates and the UV coordinates in Maya so the UDIM data isnt properly exported and Substance cant read it properly. I guess because the group transform node isnt connected to all the objects shape nodes the same way an individual object's transform node is connected to its shape node/s

But thats just my theory, I'm using Maya 2017 in the office but I think the UV editor does the same thing in 2018 which I use at home.   
Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 12:22:14 pm

If Substance Painter can't split the imported mesh based on the UDIMs tiles, an error will appear in the log explaining why. Then the import process will default back to the Material mode instead (like when the UDIM setting is disabled).

This why I'm asking everybody in this thread to at least attach a log file so that we can check for those error messages.
-----------

The log file shows:
[Scene 3D] Errors have been found while splitting meshes per UDIM.
Mesh 'Mesh_name' has a face spanning across multiple tiles (1, 1) and (1,0)

like this multiple lines

The log file shows:
[Scene 3D] Errors have been found while splitting meshes per UDIM.
Mesh 'Mesh_name' has a face spanning across multiple tiles (1, 1) and (1,0)

like this multiple lines

Is this a question?

It's the log file report.
Anyways, found the solution to the problem.
If the UVs cross the tile defined then the painter does not take the UDIM texture for the same and result in normal texture sets defined by materials.
So, make sure the UV shells lie in the tiles and everything will work fine then.
It did for me.

So, make sure the UV shells lie in the tiles and everything will work fine then.

Yes, thats what the error message says word by word...

I am having this same issue from 3ds Max 2020 using OBJ. I am dealing with complex rigged mesh and cannot use FBX as the orientation of the multiple objects go crazy.

I get no red errors in the log, I can see the UDIMs spread out correctly but only get one DefaultMaterial Texture Set.