Author Topic: Substance to Houdini - sRGB to Linear (Roughness not working)  (Read 4377 times)

Hi all,

This is my first time posting on the forum so I'll say a nice big hello before I get on with things...

So... Hello!

Basically I am using Substance Designer at work to create large tilable maps for use in Houdini and rendered in Mantra. The problem I am having is Houdini naturally runs in linear space (?) whereas Substance exports its maps as sRGB?

When rendering in Mantra, I get results showing as if the roughness map has no effect what so ever and is completely shiny (as if it has a value of 0). Has anyone else experienced this?

For example, I am generating a rock texture at the moment which in Substance looks extremely rough. When I import the maps and run them through a Principled shader the rock suddenly looks extremely reflective as if the roughness isn't applied at all.

Any thoughts or ideas on this?

Thanks!

Hi all,

This is my first time posting on the forum so I'll say a nice big hello before I get on with things...

So... Hello!

Basically I am using Substance Designer at work to create large tilable maps for use in Houdini and rendered in Mantra. The problem I am having is Houdini naturally runs in linear space (?) whereas Substance exports its maps as sRGB?

When rendering in Mantra, I get results showing as if the roughness map has no effect what so ever and is completely shiny (as if it has a value of 0). Has anyone else experienced this?

For example, I am generating a rock texture at the moment which in Substance looks extremely rough. When I import the maps and run them through a Principled shader the rock suddenly looks extremely reflective as if the roughness isn't applied at all.

Any thoughts or ideas on this?

Thanks!

HI,

It could be that the roughness map needs to be flagged as linear. Can you post a screen shot of the material setup?

Cheers,
wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Hello
May be you already find the answer... But you have to put your texture roughness and also put the roughness
Slider value to 1, because it act like a multiplier... And by default it's set to zero..

IMHO this will fix your problem..😊

Hello
May be you already find the answer... But you have to put your texture roughness and also put the roughness
Slider value to 1, because it act like a multiplier... And by default it's set to zero..

Thanks for posting this solution :)

Cheers,
wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Hey guys,

I am sorry that I have only just replied... I have had a lot of downtime over the holidays and haven't really been around! So sorry if it seemed I'd just abandoned the post.

I'll try these solutions this morning. I believe I had been exporting these textures in linear space from Substance but I will give it a go at having the roughness at 1.

I shall let you know! Thank you for helping me, I greatly appreciate it :)

Noel

Hello

Thank you so much for that ! I had the same issues and that fixed it!