Author Topic: How to continue after baking exploded mesh?  (Read 1417 times)

So I'm working on a very complex gun, and I decided to explode the mesh for super accurate baking. I exploded it, brought in the low poly, and baked the high poly details onto it, and it looks great. Only thing is, I don't know where to go from here. I have it separated into two sections: the top half of the gun, and the bottom half of the gun. What are the next few steps I need to take? Thanks!

What do you mean, the next steps? Get a coffee, walk the dog. In what regard, what are you planning to do?

Add any kind of layers to the layer stack of each texture set and start texturing!

Or do you want to bring the two sections together/ 'un-explode' the mesh?
Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 04:18:45 pm

What do you mean, the next steps? Get a coffee, walk the dog. In what regard, what are you planning to do?

Add any kind of layers to the layer stack of each texture set and start texturing!

Or do you want to bring the two sections together/ 'un-explode' the mesh?

Yeah, sorry, I should've clarified a bit better...I want to bring the two sections together into one giant model within Substance Painter. I imagine it goes something like this:

1. Export the baked maps from the exploded mesh (not sure what type of output to use, I usually use UE4 Packed)

2. Repeat for the bottom section of the mesh.

3. Import the non-exploded mesh, and drag and drop the normal maps, etc, onto the object.

4. Somehow combine the top and bottom meshes into one object in Substance Painter? (I've only ever brought in one FBX/OBJ file at a time).