Author Topic: PSD Exporter - Feature Requests.  (Read 2614 times)

Hi there,
I would like to convince the studio where I’m working to adopt Substance Designer.
Thing is, being our pipeline still so reliant on Photoshop, we really need a strong psd exporter to welcome SD in our pipeline.
Currently I feel there have been some important omissions that make the exporter less useful than it could be.
For this reason, knowing that I can’t expect to replicate all psd features, I will try to make an analysis and ask for a minimum amount of feature requests.

Masks
This is currently one of my biggest concerns.
Currently only nodes with alpha are exported as layers with a mask.
The problem is that a layer exported this way will have transparent pixels (i.e. opaque pixels from the source node will be deleted) that will match the mask.
This makes the use of a mask useless, thus making the export function more destructive than it should be.
  • Now, a layer in Photoshop may actually contain transparent pixels, and have a mask as well. For this reason the best way to export a mask should be the ability to assign an arbitrary grayscale node to a mask of a layer, while the layer should receive a RGBA node. Mask Assignment should be made with a simple drag’n drop.
  • Groups should have masks too.
See also Topic: Access to layer masks with PSD exporter

Layer UI.
It is very difficult to organize layers, as it’s not easy to drag a layer in and out of a group.
Layers flicker when trying to drag a layer close to a group in the UI.

Adjustment Layers.
This would be so useful! Adding non-destructive features to the generated psd file.
Designer already have atomic nodes like Levels, HSL and Gradient Map.
In my opinion, these nodes should be added in two different ways:
  • The way it is now, showing the result of the node operation.
  • Adding and adjustment layer which takes the same node parameters as values (without rendering the image).Of course the adjustment layer should be able to receive a mask too.

Nested substances in a graph as a group
This is probably a plus, but I like the idea of it.
Layers that have already been setup to be exported inside of a subgraph (a referenced substance inside of the current graph) are currently not taken into account.
IMO they should be exported as a group in the current graph, if the subgraph have been added to the exporter in the layer list.
I hope that makes sense.

Thanks for listening!

I agree it's very difficult to rearrange layers. You can't drag them beyond the visible window, so they end up being dropped into the wrong folders, then I scroll some more and drag them again. Not great.

Also they always get added to the top as it doesn't seem to be possible to drag them into the middle of the layer stack without overwriting something already in there.

Could definitely use a bit of tweaking.

Adjustment layers would be useful if they work exactly the same as the Photoshop equivalents. I'm not sure they do. Maybe it doesn't matter if they're exported with zeroed values. Hue Sat and Levels are the most useful ones IMO.

Adjustment layers would be useful if they work exactly the same as the Photoshop equivalents. I'm not sure they do. Maybe it doesn't matter if they're exported with zeroed values. Hue Sat and Levels are the most useful ones IMO.

From what I see, Levels and Hue/Saturation/Value from Designer look to be quite consistent with Photoshop.
And I agree, these are probably the only two adjustment layers that are really needed.