Author Topic: Projection - no show stencil display  (Read 981 times)

Projection - no show stencil (

There is no info in your thread that we could use to actually help you. Obviously.

There is no info in your thread that we could use to actually help you. Obviously.
What information is needed?
win 10 /64/
substance painter 2019.1.3

What information is needed?
win 10 /64/
substance painter 2019.1.3

It would help to first attach a log file:

https://support.allegorithmic.com/documentation/spdoc/exporting-the-log-file-128745475.html

Then I would suggest you describe and show with screen shots all the steps you took from opening the project and all the way to having the actual problem so there can be an attempt to reproduce it.

I would also suggest making a basic project file with a cube to reproduce the problem and include a copy of your project file.

Just tested this out, it seems they must have messed something up in 2019.1.3. When activating the Projection Tool, alphas are indeed not displayed correctly in the viewport, there is only a black square visible regardless of any assigned alpha image. You can apply the projection to the mesh, but you cannot see beforehand what you are applying. I did not notice this yet.

Probably needs a fix.

Just tested this out, it seems they must have messed something up in 2019.1.3. When activating the Projection Tool, alphas are indeed not displayed correctly in the viewport, there is only a black square visible regardless of any assigned alpha image. You can apply the projection to the mesh, but you cannot see beforehand what you are applying. I did not notice this yet.

Probably needs a fix.

Oh, I'm still on 2019.1.2 so I haven't noticed it yet. I just updated to 2019.1.3 and tested it. Works fine on my end.

It doesn't work with a mask/ a paint effect applied to a mask. It works ok with just a standard layer. At least on my end.

It doesn't work with a mask/ a paint effect applied to a mask. It works ok with just a standard layer. At least on my end.

Yep, you're right. When using a mask it doesn't show.

Is there any news on this topic? This bug makes my workflow very difficult, I am curious when could we expect any fix?

Did you report the bug through the software?

Help -> Support -> Report a Bug

I sent one in myself.

There is indeed an issue with the projection when used on a mask, that comes from the fact you can now choose the channel you want to use to create a mask from a substance (when using a fill effect on a mask).

A work around for now that should work, as you are trying to use the projection mode with a mask, would be to use the Stencil instead of the projection mode; if you just use grayscale value on a mask, there is no real difference between the two modes.
You can find the Stencil mode when in the normal Paint mode, in Paint-Properties > Stencil. The two options share the same shortcuts and the same display properties as well.

Thank you, I'll try this out.

Today updated, everything works
Thank you very much!