Author Topic: Where is MG Dirt Generator that is used in Old Lantern Tutorial  (Read 2904 times)

In 03 creating the base material Wes says the dirt generator he uses ships with SP but it is no where to be found from the generator dropdown or a search of all in the shelf instead what I have available is Dirt.
Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 09:21:52 pm

This is one of a few issues I've found, MG (x) do not exist, as well as
03 - Creating the base paint material @12:27 in, he adjusts the histogram position under greyscale, mine does not have that option. 
SO, yeah, couldn't get passed that part since there's no way of adjusting. 

In 03 creating the base material Wes says the dirt generator he uses ships with SP but it is no where to be found from the generator dropdown or a search of all in the shelf instead what I have available is Dirt.

Hey Wes,

Very sorry for this. The name was changed to "Dirt" the day of 2018.1 release. I didn't know it was going to be changed as I had recorded the videos only 2 days before. The MG stands for mask generator and we had used the naming convention in previous builds of Painter. I think the team just wanted to make the naming more consistent. The generator is the same.

Cheers,
Wes
Integrations Product Manager / Training
wes.mcdermott@allegorithmic.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

This is one of a few issues I've found, MG (x) do not exist, as well as
03 - Creating the base paint material @12:27 in, he adjusts the histogram position under greyscale, mine does not have that option. 
SO, yeah, couldn't get passed that part since there's no way of adjusting.

Very sorry for this confusion. I know that is frustrating. These changes were made right before release. I had recorded the videos just 2 days before and these noises were updated at the last minute. These updates coincide with changes we made to the noises in Substance Designer. The goal was to keep consistency across the applications. The balance and contrast settings replace the histogram and the new options for scale allow you to scale the noise similar to tiling.

Cheers,
Wes

Figured as much.

I hit a snag with this tutorial and I can't get around it. At 10:19 of the 3rd video "Creating the Base Paint Material" as soon as the new Paint Specs layer is added and the height parameters are put in his base material changes to include the bumps and mine doesn't. I have included a screen capture to compare. I went back and re did everything 3 times and still no height map. Did something change in the 2018 version? Or could I be missing a step that I can't see?

Did this today and it worked for me.  That's with 2018.1.2.  The lack of MG Dirt was an issue until I figured Dirt was the same as the video.  :)

I do like the tutorials.  I tend to watch them first and then rerun while I (try) to replicate what's on screen.

I hit a snag with this tutorial and I can't get around it. At 10:19 of the 3rd video "Creating the Base Paint Material" as soon as the new Paint Specs layer is added and the height parameters are put in his base material changes to include the bumps and mine doesn't. I have included a screen capture to compare. I went back and re did everything 3 times and still no height map. Did something change in the 2018 version? Or could I be missing a step that I can't see?

Nothing has changed that we prevent this from working like it's shown in the video. Just to be sure, are you using a Fill Layer with height enabled and a value above or below 0? If by chance you created a painter layer, this setup would have no effect.

Cheers,
Wes