Author Topic: 2018 release  (Read 1383 times)

I'm very excited about this release. I can see these new features changing the way I work on big assets. It's not quite UDIM support for painter, but pretty impressive still!

How do you guys think this release will change your workflow? I'd love to hear thoughts! I don't usually think of Designer for working on specific models, rather for making tileable textures. Yet this release seems to be all about that.
Would anyone like to share how they plan to use this in their work?

Although I've played around with Designer for quite a while, I'm still 95% novice with it.

However, I must say this update is very exciting.
I see it as Step #1 of full UDIM support (or maybe it's Step 2).
Sure will be great when:
a) You can display multiple UDIMs at the same time
b) Painter supports painting across UDIMs.
Both will be "soon" (according to the Allegorithmic definition of "soon" ;) ).

Great job, Allegorithmic.
Hobbyist
----------
Common "Help" suggestions:
- LOG FILE tips - https://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php/topic,22451.0.html
- LICENSING issues https://www.allegorithmic.com/contact
- ATTACH files and pictures to posts: https://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php/topic,23670.0.html

I've never used Designer much, but will definitely take a closer look at the UDIM support. Its a bit disappointing that you can only display one UDIM at a time. Its better to have no UDIM support at all obviously, but its certainly quite a downside if you have a lot of UDIMs in a model and need to adjust the individual elements. I don't see myself texturing that way.

They have tweeted about a new release (presumably) of Painter though coming on march 15th (thursday next week), that I am a lot more excited about.

Two approaches for software development and release:
a) Do not release the new version until "all" the features are complete.
b) Release an "80% done" version that provides new capabilities and value now, and deliver the remaining 20% later.

Of course I'd love to have everything today, but given the two choices above, I'll pick Option "a," especially since we don't need to pay for each release.


Watching the demo, wow, it was exciting. but it also made my head hurt.  I need a bigger head so I can up-size my brain a few sizes.
Hobbyist
----------
Common "Help" suggestions:
- LOG FILE tips - https://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php/topic,22451.0.html
- LICENSING issues https://www.allegorithmic.com/contact
- ATTACH files and pictures to posts: https://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php/topic,23670.0.html

So I just tried the new baker and whenever I try to right click a map and rebake it, I lose all the settings that I used initially.
That's a huge step backwards I hope it gets fixed soon, having to update maps for assets that were done days before was a lot easier when designer saved the settings per package.

Edit: Nevermind, It seems that I have to manually press the "Save baking settings" now. An extra step IMO but I guess there's a reason for being there.
Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 10:33:23 pm

Will it be possible to use UVs that go accross several UDIMs?, that's usually a problem in Mudbox for example.

Will it be possible to use UVs that go accross several UDIMs?, that's usually a problem in Mudbox for example.

I've never seen an app that can do that yet. I think it would create serious issues with texture seams just ending and random location along a polygon face.

There's a bunch of programs that deal with that just fine, though they're mostly film oriented.

Mari

Yes, I focus on VFX tasks, so that kind of UV mapping is perfectly fine if you use it wisely LOL

Quote
Yes, I focus on VFX tasks, so that kind of UV mapping is perfectly fine if you use it wisely LOL

But can you import that kind of mapping into a 3d painting app, like Mari? I haven't gotten to use Mari an awful lot.
I realize you can do that, say in Maya, if you are using tileable textures or something like that.

Quote
Yes, I focus on VFX tasks, so that kind of UV mapping is perfectly fine if you use it wisely LOL

But can you import that kind of mapping into a 3d painting app, like Mari? I haven't gotten to use Mari an awful lot.
I realize you can do that, say in Maya, if you are using tileable textures or something like that.

Yeah, it works off the bat as long as it doesn't go into negative space.

Quote
Yeah, it works off the bat as long as it doesn't go into negative space.

Huh, I need to test this. The things you learn!