Author Topic: A question about noises  (Read 484 times)

So in both painter and designer there are these things called "noises" and a sub-group called grunges. What is the difference? How are grunges different from other types of noises?

And is there any kind of universial standard when it comes to what kind of noises are used for texturing and what they are called or does it all just vary from artist/program to artist/program?       

I am interested in learning texturing theory but I don't know of any place/source that teaches these kind of things :/

You can open up each noise or grunge by right clicking the node and selecting 'Open Reference'. This will help you understand the difference between the two, which, as far as I know is namely computational speed against a less generic look though you could of course smash enough generic noises together and get a fairly unique result.

Grunge maps are usually based on an FX map and a bitmap whereas the noise nodes are, I think, mostly built inside the FX-map node; a sort of controlled noise generator. Youtube is a great source for learning as well as some graphs on Substance Share and Gumroad.

You can open up each noise or grunge by right clicking the node and selecting 'Open Reference'. This will help you understand the difference between the two, which, as far as I know is namely computational speed against a less generic look though you could of course smash enough generic noises together and get a fairly unique result.

Grunge maps are usually based on an FX map and a bitmap whereas the noise nodes are, I think, mostly built inside the FX-map node; a sort of controlled noise generator. Youtube is a great source for learning as well as some graphs on Substance Share and Gumroad.

Thanks for your reply :)