Author Topic: How To Tell If the Source Materials Are Metal Rough Or Specular Glossy?  (Read 1069 times)

Hello,

Thanks in advance for any insight about Source Material Library?

Is there a way to tell which type of PBR setup was used - be it Metal Rough or Specular Glossy?
I need to convert to Redshift3d Materials and it would be helpful to know what type of PBR materials I am downloading?

Hi,

All Source materials are compatible with both workflows. By looking at the "Channels" group in the substance material, you'll notice you have access to the outputs to enable/disable them.
This way you can use BaseColor/Metallic/Roughness (the ones we enabled by default) or Diffuse/Specular/Glossiness depending on what you prefer.
Lead technical artist
gaetan.lassagne@allegorithmic.com

Hi Gaetan,

I see it now! 
Thank you!

I have 1 more question regarding scale with the Source Materials Library:

Once I open a Source Material can I scale the texture like Brick Bond Variations for example
using the existing software geometry options like cube etc..., in the 2d view so I can at export a known scale of texture?

Please note that I am trying to cut down the time to convert scale once I am in 3ds Max.
If I have the actual scale of the texture even if in centimeters, I should be able to figure out
conversion quicker with known values of some kind.

Thanks again,

It's something that is included in the last sbs/sbsar files on Substance Source but not necessary all of them for now (not sure it's available on "Brick Bond Variation" as the feature was not available in Substance Designer at the time the material was created).
But we're planning to support it on all substances and make it more visible for users directly on Source website. :)
Regarding this specific material, you will be able to specify the bricks amount on both axis, so you imagine to have different scales (/bricks amount).
Lead technical artist

Hi,

That sounds great! 
1. How do I tell which last sbs/sbsar have the scale option available?

2. How do I use the scale option too for textures that have the option? 

Thanks!

Hi,

1. The size is something we need to display (and will for sure :) ) on Source website , for now there is no way (except by downloading and looking into the sbs file for example) to know if this information is available on a material or not. It's something we started to add in April 2017 (just after the feature was added to SD).

2. The scale/size of a material is only an additional information, we however handle it in the MDL materials to scale it automatically if the "Physical Size" option is enabled, however it will not take into account your mesh UVs for example.
Also, as the amount of bricks you choose can have an impact on it, it's difficult to define an absolute scale for a material (because you can imagine to totally change it in some cases).
Lead technical artist

I do see how both the Metallic/Rough and Spec/Gloss outputs are available to be output as maps. The one thing I don't see though (needed, from what I understand, when using Vray) is an output for IOR in the substances I've downloaded. Any instruction/insight on what I do to output an ior map? Thanks.