Author Topic: Substance Painter and Blender Problem with Material  (Read 9291 times)

Hello,

i have the following problem, if i try to import an obj created with blender. I tried it with a primitiv (box). I import the box into substance painter, but i get an strange artifact at the uv. I made a screenshot of the scene. I am using substance painter version 9 because version 10 is crashing a lot. Does anybody has also problems with models from blender (blend files make sp crashing immediatly)?

Thanks a lot!

Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 01:16:58 pm

Hello,

I think this is an issue with the normals from blender. The normals are all averaged to one smoothing group. Can you un-smooth the cube in blender?

Cheers,

Wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Hi Wes,

thanks for your answere. I tried everything to unsmooth the box, but the result was always the same. Tried fbx, obj and 3ds as export, but I allways get the artifacts. I reset everything to factory settings and tried it, but again failed. I am using Blender 2.71.

Do you have maybe a simple tutorial about using Substance Painter with Blender? I want so badly use your tools, but it is not that fun with this strange behavior.

Thanks a lot!

Hi Wes,

thanks for your answere. I tried everything to unsmooth the box, but the result was always the same. Tried fbx, obj and 3ds as export, but I allways get the artifacts. I reset everything to factory settings and tried it, but again failed. I am using Blender 2.71.

Do you have maybe a simple tutorial about using Substance Painter with Blender? I want so badly use your tools, but it is not that fun with this strange behavior.

Thanks a lot!

Hi,

I'm sorry, but I don't know much about using blender :) However, I can reproduce the issue using Maya if I smooth all of the edges. I downloaded blender, but I couldn't find a option to adjust the normals. I made a video showing the issue recreated using Maya and what steps I take fix the issue. Perhaps that will be helpful as you'll see how the issue is fixed and the blender equivalent to the Maya normal commands.

Cheers,

Wes
Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 09:31:07 pm
the3dninja@adobe.com

I'm sorry, I was having an issue adding the link to my post above for some reason. Here is the video.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/nsexz4s0dz9ynl5/Blender_smoothing.mp4

Cheers,

Wes
the3dninja@adobe.com

I got the same trouble with blender - smoothing groups or soft/hard edges or whatever you like to call it just not supported propper. Only workaround I´ve found, was to export as .collada .dae file - then the hard/soft edges were correct.

Or try: Voidworld / nvil. I´ve found out, that there is a better workflow with smoothing/hard edges (at least a working one)

As much as I liked blender before - it seems fbx got broken in 2.71 and never worked 100% in 2.69 and obj maybe also not 100% ok (seem my other postings here)
Blender is perfect, when you stay in this world - but for a pipeline among other tools - not so much. I would suggest other 3D apps now.

take a read, here : http://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php/topic,1676.15.html

kind regards
Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 09:52:21 pm

Hi Wes and Elowan,

thank you so much for your help. I would really love to stick with blender since I spend quite a bit of time getting along with it. I will try what you suggested and will open a thread in a blender forum. Maybe someone there has an idea. I also heard, that the new comming release 2.72 ?!? will have a fix for the broken FBX exporter. Maybe this will help.

Thanks again!
Cheers!

I'm sorry, I was having an issue adding the link to my post above for some reason. Here is the video.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/nsexz4s0dz9ynl5/Blender_smoothing.mp4

Cheers,

Wes

Hi Wes,
Nice video! Thanks for this quick help! Now I know what I have to look for!
Really cool ;)

I am not really sure what I did, but the round edges are gone. The ony problem I have right now is the strange artifact on the 2D UV Map marked in the picture. Does anyone has an idea what that could be?

Thanks again for the help!

I am not really sure what I did, but the round edges are gone. The ony problem I have right now is the strange artifact on the 2D UV Map marked in the picture. Does anyone has an idea what that could be?

Hi,

I think it looks like a face normal issue causing that artifact in the shading. That is only showing in the shading. Do you have any issues when painting?

Cheers,

Wes
the3dninja@adobe.com

Hi,

I think it looks like a face normal issue causing that artifact in the shading. That is only showing in the shading. Do you have any issues when painting?

Cheers,

Wes

Hi Wes,

thanks for the answere. I tested a little bit more and it seems, that the disorientation is at most primitives. I tried a more complicated model and there was nothing. I don't know how this happens. I will try ask in a Blender forum and see if they have maybe an answere. Regarding your question: The painting is not effected by the disorientation also is it not visual on the 3D View. Its just on the 2D Texture.

I have another question. Is the particle painting orientated at the UV seams? I made a sphere, and unwraped it with different styles. If the uv's of the sphere gets a bit chunky, the "gravity" of the particle paintings (liquid stream) are not working correctly. I guess they should go from up to down. I attached a screen, that shows what i mean.

Thanks for the help and keep up the good work on the substance products!