Author Topic: Combining the Materials of 2 different projects same uvs model parts moved  (Read 369 times)

Hi,

Ok so here's my dilema. I have a project I started and got pretty far in only to realize I need to move over some model pieces further apart to get a better normal map bake. So now I have my one project where I like all the work I did and just want to plug in the new normal, AO and curvature map  from the other project.
Original Project with a few normal issues

New project with just normal, AO and Curvature

It’s not perfect but these problems seem like an easier fix then what I had before.
How would I fix these btw?

Anyhow I thought since the UVs are identical all I would need to do is import the the new normal, AO & curvature maps. But this did not work at all.  For some reason the normals looked even more messed up.

Then I thought why don’t I just swap out the models used for the new normal bake into the file with the materials I like and rebake the normals.    This didn’t quite work as it messed up the materials and details I applied.     When I tried to create an update material id map based on the new arrangement of the models it just gave me a black image for the color ID.

If I understand correctly the different maps are based on the physical locations of the models in the scene as they are being projected ?  This is also why all the keyboard keys have lost their texture?

Now I’m not sure what else to try.

It is not possible to import a model where the locations of the objects have changed in 3d space while retaining _manually_ painted details. Manually painted details are applied in world space, meaning Painter has no way to know where to project the details when the location of the objects have changed.

The exploding you have done for your model is absolutely unnecessary though, you do not need to do that. There is a feature in Painter called 'match by mesh name' where Painter uses a certain naming convention of the individual mesh parts to figure out which parts influence each other and which don't.

-> https://support.allegorithmic.com/documentation/display/SPDOC/Matching+by+name

In your case, all you need to do is create a separate highres model for your laptop (it does not actually have to be high res, can be the same mesh as your original file, all that matters is the naming of your mesh parts) were all the objects you want separated need to be on a separate mesh layer and named correctly (e.g. a 'keyboard_low' object in your laptop_low.OBJ, and a 'keyboard_high' object in your separate laptop_high.OBJ in the SAME location in 3d space).

Load the new laptop_low.OBJ into Painter, load the new laptop_high.OBJ in the texture baking window into the 'High Definition Meshes' section, and activate 'Match' -> 'By Mesh Name'. Re-bake your textures.

You could also just create a cage mesh for your original mesh file and see if this removes the baking errors. Import your object into your external 3d app, assign a push modifier and push the polygons slightly outward, then load that separate cage mesh file into the appropriate section of the baking window in Painter and re-bake your textures.
Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 12:30:01 pm