Author Topic: Lasso/Rectangular/polygonal selection?  (Read 12083 times)

I need a precision mask, but cant find the precision masks/selections like lasso selection/masking and even better, the polygonal selection.

How do I find it? :O

Thanks

I need a precision mask, but cant find the precision masks/selections like lasso selection/masking and even better, the polygonal selection.

How do I find it? :O

Thanks

Hi,

You need to select the geometry tool and this allows you to select by faces, polygon shell or UV shell. By default, this works as a fill tool. You need to hit the T key to go into mask mode, then you can use the geometry tool to make a precision mask. When you are ready to use the mask, just hit T key again to go into "using mask" mode.

Cheers,

Wes

Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Thanks a lot, Wes. The ninja himself!

It works great for certain things, like characters and other more dense meshes, but what I need is to mask out a panel line in a metal plate, for example. So it is just 1 polygon, but with normal detail. Is that impossible at this time?

I appreciate you taking time to help me :)

Thanks a lot, Wes. The ninja himself!

It works great for certain things, like characters and other more dense meshes, but what I need is to mask out a panel line in a metal plate, for example. So it is just 1 polygon, but with normal detail. Is that impossible at this time?

I appreciate you taking time to help me :)

Hi Casper,

Well, it's not possible with the current tools, but I think it can be done with a substance effect. I actually was looking for something like this as well. I'll see what I can come up with : )

Cheers,

Wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Hi Wes,

That would be great! :)
Is selection tools like lasso etc, which are not dependent on topology something you think will be implemented in the future? Perhaps just in the 2D view?

Thanks for all your help!

This is still one huge missing feature. Selection tools like in Photoshop, but with feature of selecting material like Color, Height rough, metal, nrm. Say you painted a bolt and you would like to copy that bolt to another area on the model it would be nice to be able to make a lasso selection and copy paste and move it to another area. Right now you have to paint things again and again.

I have to agree, the ability to select using Lasso, Rectangular, Elipse, Polygonal and even rectangular with rounded corners is very high on the priority list. Plus, creating a selection based on the contents of a mask.

For me, selection tools would then go hand in hand with some kind of slope/mask creation tool so the resulting mask 0 to 1 would be smooth/sharp/slope/chisel etc to then create a Height and then on to a Normal.

If allegorithmic could make it so you can select parts of a Normal map and save them to the shelf for painting on other areas, would be just great  8)

> I just noticed this is 4 years on from the original post and this feature still has not been added  :'(
Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 04:32:56 pm

A rectangle marquee tool would be fantastic, even just adding an option in Polygon fill box to do free hand drag selection would suffice.

It'd be incredibly handy for masking block areas.
Currently, if you want to mask a stripe or block area that falls outside your polygon lines there's no easy solution apart from hand painting it which isn't ideal?

I'd love to have this feature. It seems essential to me. I'm learning Substance Painter now and I'm surprised there isn't something like a lasso tool.

Adding to this thread to say please, can we add this feature to future editions of Painter. It's very much needed.

I absolutely agree! I'm working on a texture project for school and I wish it had this ability for sure!