Author Topic: Substance Painter Beta 10 - Stencil Masks  (Read 5783 times)

Hello,

We've released Substance Painter beta 10 which includes many bug fixes and a new stencils mask for the brushes. Here's a video tutorial on the new Stencils feature.

Cheers,

Wes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scsuZd_uSHE
Integrations Product Manager / Training
wes.mcdermott@allegorithmic.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Thanks for the video, Wes!

Now, one thing I miss from it: How do you setup/save "stencil brushes" for let´s say "reptile-skin"?

Is it like this:

1. have a RGB photo of reptile-skin = "diffuse" for the stencil brush
2. make a greyscale heightmap of that photo (via B2M) = "Alpha" for the stencil brush
3. set a roughness value
4. set metal or non-metal

???

Cheers!

Thanks for the video, Wes!

Now, one thing I miss from it: How do you setup/save "stencil brushes" for let´s say "reptile-skin"?

Is it like this:

1. have a RGB photo of reptile-skin = "diffuse" for the stencil brush
2. make a greyscale heightmap of that photo (via B2M) = "Alpha" for the stencil brush
3. set a roughness value
4. set metal or non-metal

???

Cheers!

Hi Elowan!

Thanks much. Glad you liked the video.

Yeah, it sounds like you have the right idea. The stencil is a mask and allows you to create detail. In the example of reptile skin, I would create the mask or most likely just find a zbrush alpha and paint diffuse, height and rough with no metal (black).

Cheers,

Wes

Sounds awesome, im sure this will improve the zbrush alpha workflow  :D

In the example of reptile skin, I would create the mask or most likely just find a zbrush alpha and paint diffuse, height and rough with no metal (black).

Cheers,

Wes

Ok, the height, metal and roughness part is clear to me. But not the diffuse painting...
Do you set a singel color for the skin to paint?

I was thinking of a real-life photo for coloring. And from that photo, a heightmap created with B2M or something like that, so that the "bumps/heights" matches the diffuse painting...

So you just take a brush (greyscale), set value for roughness, switch metal off aaaannnd.. what do you suggest for the diffuse/coloring?! (Sorry, maybe it´s just adumb question, but I got a lot of things going on here and maybe get lost a bit) ;)

Cheers!

In the example of reptile skin, I would create the mask or most likely just find a zbrush alpha and paint diffuse, height and rough with no metal (black).

Cheers,

Wes

Ok, the height, metal and roughness part is clear to me. But not the diffuse painting...
Do you set a singel color for the skin to paint?

I was thinking of a real-life photo for coloring. And from that photo, a heightmap created with B2M or something like that, so that the "bumps/heights" matches the diffuse painting...

So you just take a brush (greyscale), set value for roughness, switch metal off aaaannnd.. what do you suggest for the diffuse/coloring?! (Sorry, maybe it´s just adumb question, but I got a lot of things going on here and maybe get lost a bit) ;)

Cheers!

Hi,

Well the stencil only acts as a mask. In the case of using the stencil tool that has been in Substance Painter, you are painting the actual color for the image. This new stencil tool for the brush is just a second screen space mask. If you use diffuse color, you will be painting the straight color.

Cheers,

Wes

So, to match a diffuse texture with the stencil height-mask, the mask must have been created from the diffuse texture.

When using a brush, from badking-site, you will have a height map for alpha, but no matching diffuse texture.

Hmmm, hard to explain.   

Maybe look at the pre made stencil brushes in beta 10.
Take frog-belly for example. This brush consist of a diffuse texture, height alpha and so on.

Now, when creating a new one, you got alpha, metal, roughness, but no normal or diffuse texture.

Best regards