Author Topic: Creating leather stitches?  (Read 15939 times)

Hello I was wondering if someone had experience creating leather stitches in painter
For example Oakley gloves.

Hello,

I would do a web search for some zbrush alpha stitches. Luckily there are lots of stitch alphas zbrushers have created. You can then import this alpha into SP where you can use it to paint height for the stitches. You just create a brush with the alpha as the mask and then set the height channel to great than zero.

This site has a great collection of alphas you can use as masks in SP. I use them often.
http://www.badking.com.au/site/

Cheers,

Wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

thanks, this just what I was looking for... thank you :)

Hello,

Ok so when I size the brush down the resolution is very poor, the canvas is at 2048 as so is the texture.

And how do I paint without stamping or readjusting the angle so that i can trace around the mesh.

any advice would be appriecated :)

Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 03:13:04 am

Hello,

Ok so when I size the brush down the resolution is very poor, the canvas is at 2048 as so is the texture.

And how do I paint without stamping or readjusting the angle so that i can trace around the mesh.

Hello,

Hello,

To get better resolution, you'll need to make sure that the UVs occupy a large area in the UV Space for adequate texel resolution. The beta is capped at 2K for now. However, if with 4K, you are better off making sure the UVs provide the most texel resolution to the area you are painting.

To create the stamp, I would use the stencil mask in the tool. This way, you can easily rotate the alpha so that you can paint it at the correct orientation.

Cheers,

Wes
the3dninja@adobe.com

Hi Wes,

I'd like to use some ZBrush Alphas as well for Painter but how can I change the Mid Value?
All ZBrush Alphas are 50% grey for no change in height but for Painter black is no change in height.

Cheers Chris

All ZBrush Alphas are 50% grey for no change in height but for Painter black is no change in height.
That's incorrect : heightmap must be grayscale (0.5 as the mid point), unless you use a file format that handle negative values (such as exr).
Grayscale heightmap will be automatically converted by Painter when you use them. The alphas from zbrush should work as-is.

However when you display the height channel in Substance Painter in solo mode, we don't use the 0-1 range (like the bitmaps) we use -1 and 1. This is why the middle-point is black in this case.
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

The alpha in the bottom left on the screenshot produces what you can see on the preview sphere.
Could you tell me how to make the black areas push inside and the brighter parts stick out while keeping the 50% grey areas flat?

Do not use this stitch bitmap as your alpha but use it in the height channel of your brush instead.

Sweet :)
Many thanks for the help Jeremie, works great!

Out of curiosity, how would you paint (i.e., color) these stitches?

Alternatively, how would you create a stitch mask from the height map that would isolate just the stitches?

One thought would be to export the height map to Photoshop and adjust the levels such that anything that was 50% gray or darker would be black and anything lighter than 50% gray would be white.  Is there an easier way?
Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 12:37:41 am

That's exactly the same situation I'm facing...
If I have a PSD file (or whatever format with alpha channel) with the height information on the RGB channels and an alpha, How can I make the brush to take the height map from the RGB channels but take the alpha channel as opacity?.
That way I could do the stitches with the height map and make them with another material with the alpha channel.
Thanks in advance for the help (althou nobody answered JabbaTheNut).

Hi,

Very sorry for late reply. To color the stiches, you will need to create another texture that contains just the stitch color and has a transparent background. You add this texture to the base color and then the height map to the height channel. The base color channel will then be added with transparency.

Cheers,

Wes
the3dninja@adobe.com

Thank you very much.

I ellaborate a bit more my idea in this thread -> https://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php?topic=16438.new#new