Author Topic: Sharing Designer substances among multiple assets [UE4]  (Read 1175 times)

Hi everyone,

i was wondering if there is a quick way to share a substance among multiple assets. To clarify what i mean:
I created some modular building pieces and a substance file for each piece. The substances are driven by id maps as well as some baked maps.
Right now if i want to change one of the exposed parameters in the unreal editor i have to manually change it for every substance instance (eg. i obviously want the bricks of a solid wall piece to have the same color as the wall piece with the window next to it).

Is there a better way to do that?

That's an interesting problem. As far as I can see the only way to globally change a colour is in the UE4 materials not the substance textures. Yet if the goal of substance is to iterate the 'look' in engine this creates a lot of unnecessary extra work.

Should this be a feature request ?

Yet if the goal of substance is to iterate the 'look' in engine this creates a lot of unnecessary extra work.

That's exactly the point ;)
I guess i'll wait a couple of days in case someone comes up with an idea and if not i will post this as a feature request.