Author Topic: Multimaterial in Beta 8 !!Woohoo !!  (Read 3194 times)

I downloaded yesterday night Beta 8. Multimaterial with differentiated stacks per material is a fantastic addition. It works great from my first tests. Thanks to all in Allegorithmic.
Now, my wish list would be : 4K, some specific painting tools (line, spline...), and live exchange with substance designer.
With that, Substance painter would definitely replace 3D-Coat (except for 8K textures) for painting in my toolset (I wouldn't dump 3DC, though, since I use extensively their sculpting- retopo and UV tools, there's place for everyone !).
It's been a long way since the first beat release in only a few months. You guys did a great job !

I downloaded yesterday night Beta 8. Multimaterial with differentiated stacks per material is a fantastic addition. It works great from my first tests. Thanks to all in Allegorithmic.
Now, my wish list would be : 4K, some specific painting tools (line, spline...), and live exchange with substance designer.

Can I say that I agree 100% :D ?
MultiMaterial alone is a massive addition!
And yes, 4K is now my most wanted feature (just because I have a model taking some dust, patiently waiting for it).

P.S. any ETA on when the PBR pack is coming?

What do you mean by PBR Pack?

PS: Happy to see that you love the multi-mat feature :)

Nicolas
Head of Product Management

I mean the PBR library from Game Textures:
http://news.creativecow.net/story/875975

I'm working on a model that is a bit complicated to texture, even with substance designer. Painter is great, for sure. I have already got results far beyond my expectations on this model. Far beyond what I got with 3D-Coat, which is in my book quite a reference.
BUT, I have forgotten something that imho will be indispensable for people wanting to use Painter heavily, which is 3Dconnexion support. I know it's under review, but if it could be available for V1.0, that would be a huge workflow improvement.

I mean the PBR library from Game Textures:
http://news.creativecow.net/story/875975

Hi Mario,

It's coming in July. We are targeting to add the textures in the SD 4.4 update.

Cheers,

Wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

BTW, for those who have missed it on twitter, I have posted a short review of Beta 8 on my blog : http://captainmarlowe.blogspot.fr/2014/06/allegorithmics-substance-painter-next.html

This is awesome... I am loving this new update. :) I wonder when the feature of Material ID maps will drop in an update.

Right now, my top requested features:

1) 4k
2) Custom Shader Support
3) Skin Shader support

I agree that this is an amazing update. Its fantastic to be able to use substances directly in Painter.

I was wondering though whether mutli-tile uvs/udim, and 4k res support are going to be implemented in the nearby future? The painting viewport within Painter is already top notch, but I don't get to use the program as much on key assets which need a lot of texture resolution. I believe that if you guys implemented things like multi tile/ 4k+ res, you would literally have the best 3d texture painting application.

I agree that this is an amazing update. Its fantastic to be able to use substances directly in Painter.

I was wondering though whether mutli-tile uvs/udim, and 4k res support are going to be implemented in the nearby future? The painting viewport within Painter is already top notch, but I don't get to use the program as much on key assets which need a lot of texture resolution. I believe that if you guys implemented things like multi tile/ 4k+ res, you would literally have the best 3d texture painting application.

4K support will definitely be there. We also have UV Tiles on the roadmap. I'm not sure on the exact timeframe, but these are very important features for us as well.

Cheers,

Wes
the3dninja@adobe.com

Sounds fantastic Wes! I'm really glad that those are on the roadmap. Ever since beta 7 came out, 3 of my friends purchased the substance pack so you guys are definitely doing a great job  :).

Hi guys,
first of all.. substance painter is getting better and better. Thumbs up for your work! I´ve just tested the multi-material feature, but one thing I can´t figure out. Is it not possible to paint over multiple texture-sets without a seam? I can only paint on one set or the other and can´t draw a line over both, for example.
I would like to create bigger models with several materials with individual uv layouts for greater texel density.
Thankful for any help,
Oli

Hi guys,
first of all.. substance painter is getting better and better. Thumbs up for your work! I´ve just tested the multi-material feature, but one thing I can´t figure out. Is it not possible to paint over multiple texture-sets without a seam? I can only paint on one set or the other and can´t draw a line over both, for example.
I would like to create bigger models with several materials with individual uv layouts for greater texel density.
Thankful for any help,
Oli

Hi Oli,

At this time, we don't have support to paint across multiple materials. This is something that will be addressed in a future update.

Cheers,

Wes
the3dninja@adobe.com

Thanks Wes, looking forward to further updates :-) . Bye,Oli