Author Topic: All shelfs stay empty - after trying to create a custom shelf  (Read 3391 times)

Hello,
we are new to substance painter and using SP 2017 and my shelves are all empty, after I tried to create a custom shelf.

The default location (user/documents/allegorithmic/substance painter/shelf) is existing.
But I can't see the "resources" folder.
Also I have two "Substance Painter" folders, the second unused folder (also no content inside) ist located directly in documents and named "Substance Painter 2".
Our application is the latest SP 2017 and referring to .".../allegorithmic/substance painter"

- Is there a way to reset the application to default, that I get all materials back?
(I still haven't created any own materials)
- Why can't I create a custom shelf for own materials (no document is opened and I did everything like your online description), I was creating a custom folder inside the shelf, but it doesn't show up (it's also still empty).
Strange that such a simple thing is so complicated....

Thanks
Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 12:07:12 pm

Hey, did you try to run SP in administrator mode?

Hello Vincent, thanks for reply.
What exactly means "administrator mode"?
Something in the SP preferences or something globally for my computer?
I can not change my user at this (good maintained) PC workstation

Until now all softwares worked, so I don't think it has to do with that.

I have Substance Painter (I tried the software one year ago for short time) and now substance painter 2 on this computer, maybe I should uninstall everything and reinstall?

Thanks

Hello Vincent,

when I reinstall und install it all now from scratch,
- which is the best way, when I want to create custom shelves in future?
(Or isn't it possible to create a custom shelf with own collected materials?)

- can I save all my customized hotkeys?
I don't find anything to save or load preferences

Thanks for explaining!
I just need to understand, how it works for not to destroy it again and not to search for things that never had been possible.

For the first question: right click "run as administrator"

For adding a custom shelf, look at this doc page:
https://support.allegorithmic.com/documentation/display/SPDOC/Shelfs

EDIT:
I uninstalled Substance Painter 2, to clear that confusion,
I run Substance (2017.4) as adniminstrator: No shelves load at all.
I installed again SP 2017.4.2 and still the shelves stay empty, even when running as admin.

So it doesn't work anymore at all. What have I to do now?

I can not find any "resources folder" inside documents/allegorithmic/substance painter
There is just plugins and shelf. Should there be a folder?

b) I already saw that documentation about custom shelves and spent long time with that.
My custom folder "CUSTOM"  inside the shelves does not show up.
Maybe I misunderstood that system and it is not possible to create own shelfs that appear with a custom shelf name?
This "shelf" settings window gives you additional locations, but maybe does not create new tabs?

Thanks

p.s.
This was my posting before, biut I uninstalled one of them now:
"There are two Substance painters all the time:
Substance Painter 2017.4. and Substance Painter 2.6.2

When I click on load update of substance painter 2 it shows downloads for Substance painter 2017.4.2
Which is now the right one? Was it renamed? is SP2 now called SP2017 ? (while we have 2018)
It tells "remove older version" while installing, but still both versions are there...

At the moment when I start Substance painter 2 it tells me, that I have to download a newer version,
while Substance (without "2") is the newer one (??) and launching "Substance 2017.4.2"
Please see screenshot of my apps manager attached
thanks again"
Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 08:16:30 pm

I am sharing this with the team to get more answers.

I uninstalled Substance Painter 2, to clear that confusion,
I run Substance (2017.4) as adniminstrator: No shelves load at all.
I installed again SP 2017.4.2 and still the shelves stay empty, even when running as admin.

So it doesn't work anymore at all. What have I to do now?
Can you try uninstalling all your installed Substance Painter ?
This time, also get rid of your preferences which are stored in the registry : https://support.allegorithmic.com/documentation/display/SPDOC/Application+preferences+location

I can not find any "resources folder" inside documents/allegorithmic/substance painter
There is just plugins and shelf. Should there be a folder?
Not anymore, the default shelf is now stored next to where the application is installed.

b) I already saw that documentation about custom shelves and spent long time with that.
My custom folder "CUSTOM"  inside the shelves does not show up.
Maybe I misunderstood that system and it is not possible to create own shelfs that appear with a custom shelf name?
This "shelf" settings window gives you additional locations, but maybe does not create new tabs?
Unless your shelf name has special characters, it should work fine. The folder structure will automatically be created once you add the path. Make sure your asset are then sorted in the right sub-folders.

Your shelf name should appear in the shelf tree view once added, see the view "1" on this page : https://support.allegorithmic.com/documentation/display/SPDOC/Filtering+shelf+content

Substance Painter 2017.4. and Substance Painter 2.6.2

When I click on load update of substance painter 2 it shows downloads for Substance painter 2017.4.2
Which is now the right one? Was it renamed? is SP2 now called SP2017 ? (while we have 2018)
After Substance Painter 2.6.2 we switched to a yearly release number, so our latest version currently is 2017.4.2.
Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 11:26:46 am
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

Many thanks for asking and answering, so I will uninstall everything.
The only small left question is, if there is a place where hotkeys were stored, so I load them new.
If not, I would have to make screenshots.
I will uninstall as soon as I have the answer because it will delete all preferences ;)

Many thanks for asking and answering, so I will uninstall everything.
The only small left question is, if there is a place where hotkeys were stored, so I load them new.
If not, I would have to make screenshots.
I will uninstall as soon as I have the answer because it will delete all preferences ;)
Unfortunately, the shortcut are stored in the registry in a un-friendly way, so they no easy way to preserve them. You may prefer doing a screenshot indeed.
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

Ok, it works now... thanks!

So as I understand I can not create own Tabs in the shelf for examplenamed like "own_materials" (I can create a own database, to import materials, but not own Tabs).
Is that right?

Best,
Alex

-----------