Author Topic: Instance Layers - Ability to use paint effect accross all instances?  (Read 799 times)

Hi,
I'm currently evaluating Painter. I have a multiple UDIM asset (20+ UDIM's) that is mostly 1 material. The instantiated layers work great to begin with. However, procedural methods only get you so far. I'm now needing to go in and paint masks to reveal and hide elements of the created instanced material on many UDIMs (add scratches where there would be mechanical wear or remove rust etc). As far as i can see, I only have this ability on the master material layer's UDIM? As the instantiated Layers are a closed box and uneditable? And I can't seem to find a way of painting on multiple UDIMs with a single paint effect node?

If the only work around would be to copy the material stack to the other UDIMs, this would render the Instantiated layer function a bit redundant and Painter back to square one on UDIM support I'd be very sorry to say?

Any help would be very appreciated.

Thanks,
Anthony
Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 04:26:36 pm

Painting across multiple Texture Sets (or UDIMs) via Instancing is not supported at the moment because of technical limitations on our side. Only the instancing of effects, parameters and so on are supported.
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

HI.

That feature would blow my mind !! Any idea maybe when is going to be implemented ? Mari has that feature, painting on same object at different textures sets across the mesh and at different resolutions.  :o

But still, the actual Udim features are great ! Instancing !!!

Cheers !
CG generalist at @digi_fix animation studio located in Osaka, Japan.