Author Topic: Match by name bake DOES NOT work  (Read 3104 times)

Someone who worked on Substance Painter realized that in order to bake some mesh by matching their names with suffixes people may actually need to set their suffixes like they want to. If you think that by giving the 'match by name' option in Substance Designer without giving the option to actually change the naming suffix  of those meshes is enough for four and more versions of SD, BRAVO! So if you want to use that option in SD you need one of three things :
1 - to be a psychic and using your special powers deduct that the logical suffix for the every low poly mesh in the whole universe is _low and for the other one _high because that is simply the way the universe works and nobody has the right to change it ever!
2 - to spend hours searching on the internet and finding only other desperate people crying for help and reporting a bug with and every time you deny it
3 - to actually have both SD and SP and deduct that maybe those default  suffixes from SP are the only possible ones in SD and start renaming  every single mesh asset
And yeah, congratulations on your new SD version I only hope that by the year 2020 you will include the option to change that suffix name

Hi,

You can change the suffix for the match by name feature in the preferences / project / baking tab:

No need to wait 2020, this option exists since the first version we added this feature back in 2015.

Wes made a video about that at the time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmEapnKrzd4

By the way this is specified in the documentation: https://docs.allegorithmic.com/documentation/display/SDDOC/Bakers

Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 04:26:32 pm
Product Manager - Allegorithmic

Nicolas - nice!

svevlad - why you got to be an A-hole - you could have just asked if it was possible?  :-\

Thank you Nicolas for a very descriptive answer. But why that option stands right below the 'match by name' in the SP and not in SD is beyond me. It is way more easier to access it in SP considering that many studios work with outsourced files from different studios and each of those studios has its own pipeline and naming conventions. I strongly advice to make it more accessible.

Nicolas - nice!

svevlad - why you got to be an A-hole - you could have just asked if it was possible?  :-\
If I spend most of my work hours in discovering the hidden options and searching the internet for them, and also trying to solve bugs of different softwares instead of doing my job I could not get anything done then.

But why that option stands right below the 'match by name' in the SP and not in SD is beyond me.

We put this option in the project preferences because it makes sense regarding the workflow in studios: artists use the same convention all the time. The project setting is done once and is shared among the team. Usually that's not a setting you change for each new mesh and when you work with outsourcers they have to follow precise guidelines concerning name conventions. If it's not the case then maybe I'd complain to the producer..

We applied this philosophy for all the settings you can find in the project settings, there is no reason not to apply it to the match by name feature.

That being said we could probably give a feedback in the UI to inform about the current name convention being used and a maybe a hint on how to change it.
Product Manager - Allegorithmic

You missed the point. Just ask a polite question - no need to go on childish rant about it - which is exactly what your initial post is. :) Think of the time wasted "not getting anything done" typing out obnoxious diatribe.

Nicolas - nice!

If I spend most of my work hours in discovering the hidden options and searching the internet for them, and also trying to solve bugs of different softwares instead of doing my job I could not get anything done then.