Author Topic: (Hardware - GPU) Is there any sence to...  (Read 4230 times)

Hi to all,
I realized that I need to invest in new GPU card. Now I started to do research and since altcoin miners made a fuss with prices they also made new products such a graphics cards without video signal output. These cards are cheaper but is it possible to use it for substance painter or any other 3D tool? What about these mining rigs? Is it possible to use same way of connecting cards for renderings? Texture baking? Modeling in Blender, Maya, Max, Zbrush?

When math comes; memory, GPU type, and speed. I have a hunch it is better to use two cards like 1060 with 6GB rather than one of 1080 with 8 GB. It is the same or similar price but again there are two of them. Now if there are two cards of 6 GB will substance painter will see it as 12 or 6 GB? Do I need to connect them with SLI? In case of multiple monitors like two, are they connected to one card or each monitor on another card?

What is the real advantage of having a lot of memory like 3GB, 6GB, 8GB or even 12.

So far I have old 750 TI 2GB, this 2GB is killing me.

Thanks for answers in advance.
Dean

What is the real advantage of having a lot of memory like 3GB, 6GB, 8GB or even 12.
Dean
Substance Painter is really relying on VRAM, by placing the painted textures into it. Therefore, the more you have the better.

For the other part of your question, I'll let my colleagues answer :)
Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 09:48:45 am

Hi to all,

When math comes; memory, GPU type, and speed. I have a hunch it is better to use two cards like 1060 with 6GB rather than one of 1080 with 8 GB. It is the same or similar price but again there are two of them. Now if there are two cards of 6 GB will substance painter will see it as 12 or 6 GB? Do I need to connect them with SLI? In case of multiple monitors like two, are they connected to one card or each monitor on another card?

Except for Iray rendering, you won't benefit of having 2GPUs: only one will be taken in account.

And for the very first question (modified GPU for mining): they are not made anymore for rendering, so they are useless for SP.

Cool,
Thanks for the answers. One question is still unanswered. If I use 2 graphic cards each of 6gb will substance painter see it as 12 or as 6gb? Is there any sense to have two cards at all?
Thanks

like I said SP won't benefit of having 2 GPUs: it will just see 6gb. having to (Nvidia) cards will just help for Irtay rendering.

True... the memory is merely "duplicated" across two video cards... they both contain the entire scene.

6+6=6GB when talking about GPUs.

(There may be "experimental" exceptions, but for all practical purposes, this is true.)
Hobbyist
----------
Common "Help" suggestions:
- LOG FILE tips - https://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php/topic,22451.0.html
- LICENSING issues https://www.allegorithmic.com/contact
- ATTACH files and pictures to posts: https://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php/topic,23670.0.html

Hey Dean

SP eats Vram like a fat guy at a free buffet , and there is no and if's or buts about it. GPu pricing right now is crazy and I don't suggest trying to get something new right now at these current prices. 6 gigs is the minimum I would suggest, and even that is not enough in my opinion. I currently have a Ryzen 7 1700 , 32 gigs of ram , ssd and an Nvidia Gtx 780 6gig card and about after 2 hours of work my vram usage is capped out at 6 gigs and the system starts to slow down. I was going to suggest you look into picking up my card for like $100-150ish dollars on ebay but after just checking I could not find any. You could look at the GTX 770 4 gig version that are readily available on ebay as a stop gap for when pricing goes back down to normal. I wouldn't pay more then 120$ for it though. There is also the 980 4 gig and or 980 Ti 6 gig if you can find these at a decent price it is an option. As for SP there is a setting that could help you while on your 750 TI, I'm not sure what version of SP your on but I'm on version 2017.4.2. I have added a print screen of the area in my version of SP , drop the quality down to the lowest or 2nd lowest option , I think by default its set to medium. One of my classmates has the same card as you and this helped her allot. Good luck and I hope this helps !!