Author Topic: An Update on Substance support in Unity 2018.1  (Read 31035 times)

Thanks so much for the hard work you guys have been putting into this.

I have a question, I have been enjoying playing around with Unity's HD Render Pipeline, will there be any support for the new "Lit" shader?

Yes, we will be supporting the HDRP pipeline. I've been playing around with it as well and the Substance outputs work. In Designer, I made a packed map output for the HD Lit shader and was able to apply it.

1. Import the Substance with the custom mask map out. I created this in Designer using RGBA-Merge node
2. Create a new material set to HDRP/Lit.
3. Drag the substance outputs to the HDRP/lit shader input.

We are only missing the ability to pack the channels for the mask map. We will be adding that functionality.

Cheers,
Wes

Inside Substance Designer, which option of "Usage" did you choose for the Detail Map? I tried all of them, but when I export I can only see the Base Color, Metallic and Emissive.
Also is there going to be an option in the future to export as a Unity HDRenderPipeline/Lit Material, so we don't have to be linking outputs everytime?

Thanks so much for the hard work you guys have been putting into this.

I have a question, I have been enjoying playing around with Unity's HD Render Pipeline, will there be any support for the new "Lit" shader?

Yes, we will be supporting the HDRP pipeline. I've been playing around with it as well and the Substance outputs work. In Designer, I made a packed map output for the HD Lit shader and was able to apply it.

1. Import the Substance with the custom mask map out. I created this in Designer using RGBA-Merge node
2. Create a new material set to HDRP/Lit.
3. Drag the substance outputs to the HDRP/lit shader input.

We are only missing the ability to pack the channels for the mask map. We will be adding that functionality.

Cheers,
Wes

Inside Substance Designer, which option of "Usage" did you choose for the Detail Map? I tried all of them, but when I export I can only see the Base Color, Metallic and Emissive.
Also is there going to be an option in the future to export as a Unity HDRenderPipeline/Lit Material, so we don't have to be linking outputs everytime?

In a future update, we will be fully supporting HDRP and you will not have to manually hook up the textures. For the Usage, I just leave it blank as I am not relying on the integration to make connections for me.

Cheers,
Wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

In a future update, we will be fully supporting HDRP and you will not have to manually hook up the textures. For the Usage, I just leave it blank as I am not relying on the integration to make connections for me.

Cheers,
Wes

I didn't see the Generate All Outputs checkbox on Unity, that's why I was going crazy exporting the Mask Maps. Solved. Also sounds good that you are supporting HDRP, I hope to see that update soon.

Are you going to support/use Unity's assembly definition files?

Hi,

Could you provide more information support for the assembly definition files?

Cheers,
Wes

https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/ScriptCompilationAssemblyDefinitionFiles.html

Given the advances Unity is making with their new compiler tech, it will be highly beneficial to partition all the scripts. Otherwise, all scripts not covered by any assembly definitions will be recompiled always instead of only if scripts in them changed.
However, that means that the special names folder need to be handled manually with custom assembly definition files (e.g. 1 for editor scripts and 1 for runtime).

Are you going to support/use Unity's assembly definition files?

Hi,

Could you provide more information support for the assembly definition files?

Cheers,
Wes

https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/ScriptCompilationAssemblyDefinitionFiles.html

Given the advances Unity is making with their new compiler tech, it will be highly beneficial to partition all the scripts. Otherwise, all scripts not covered by any assembly definitions will be recompiled always instead of only if scripts in them changed.
However, that means that the special names folder need to be handled manually with custom assembly definition files (e.g. 1 for editor scripts and 1 for runtime).

Thanks very much for this feedback! I have spoken to the dev team about this.

Cheers,
Wes
the3dninja@adobe.com

Hello,

We are big fans of Substance Painter and Designer, but a good portion of our team develops on Unity for Linux.

With 2018 we have noticed that, with the new update, Substance Engine does not seem to work at all.

When we try to Play or load the Editor in Linux, we get:

`Substance engine failed to load`

Is there any known workaround for this? Is this a known issue? I hope you are planning to support Linux in the future...

Thanks,

-Stew

Hello,

We are big fans of Substance Painter and Designer, but a good portion of our team develops on Unity for Linux.

With 2018 we have noticed that, with the new update, Substance Engine does not seem to work at all.

When we try to Play or load the Editor in Linux, we get:

`Substance engine failed to load`

Is there any known workaround for this? Is this a known issue? I hope you are planning to support Linux in the future...

Thanks,

-Stew

Hi Stew,

From what I understand the Linux Unity editor is not officially released and in an experimental state currently. We don't have plans to release support for Linux until it's officially supported.

Cheers,
wes
the3dninja@adobe.com