Author Topic: An Update on Substance support in Unity 2018.1  (Read 25999 times)

Thanks so much for the hard work you guys have been putting into this.

I have a question, I have been enjoying playing around with Unity's HD Render Pipeline, will there be any support for the new "Lit" shader?

Yes, we will be supporting the HDRP pipeline. I've been playing around with it as well and the Substance outputs work. In Designer, I made a packed map output for the HD Lit shader and was able to apply it.

1. Import the Substance with the custom mask map out. I created this in Designer using RGBA-Merge node
2. Create a new material set to HDRP/Lit.
3. Drag the substance outputs to the HDRP/lit shader input.

We are only missing the ability to pack the channels for the mask map. We will be adding that functionality.

Cheers,
Wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

I'm using Vertex painter pro inside unity, and since they removed substance from their tool, things got so hard for me.

at least, any expectation when the load behavoir will be finally functional, bec I guess this is the only way to cache the file and separate them from the substance graph from my understanding.

Hope u do it fast. I mean I know how its hard to deliver it fast, but u know also how we struggle :D

Edit:
Also, Normal map has no Blue channel, and the overall texture go too dark after painting if I attach normal map from .sbar file.

Edit:
The normal map issue if fixed, if I disable compression. and set it to raw

Edit:

also , I dont know how to extrace the final texture and save them to the asset folder as separate textures, I cant even find any GetGeneratedTexture() inside your new API . there is any fast way around to do this right now :D , I'm running out of time , thats the problem.

Hi,

For the normal map, the missing blue channel is because we use the lossless BC5 compression which encodes on the RG channels.

We don't have a GetGeneratedTextures() yet, but will will be adding this. We will also be adding loading behaviors as well.

Cheers,
Wes
the3dninja@adobe.com

Great news!

Lack of mobile runtimes is still keeping us from upgrading, do you have any approximate ETA for ios/android?

We don't have an ETA just yet, but it's one of our first priorities. Are first update is fixing stability and then we will add mobile support. I will share more info as soon as I can.

Cheers,
Wes
the3dninja@adobe.com

Yes, we will be supporting the HDRP pipeline. I've been playing around with it as well and the Substance outputs work. In Designer, I made a packed map output for the HD Lit shader and was able to apply it.

1. Import the Substance with the custom mask map out. I created this in Designer using RGBA-Merge node

We are only missing the ability to pack the channels for the mask map. We will be adding that functionality.

Cheers,
Wes

Thanks so much for the reply and for the info.
I should have been more specific as most of my workflow is Substance Painter to Unity so was thinking more along the lines of the Substance Painter LiveLink and pre-made Substance's working with the "Lit" shader such as those on Substance Source.
Just hearing you guys plan to support the "Lit" shader was enough to make me happy though, I will wait and see what you come up with.

Is there an API to replace ProceduralMaterial yet?

Hello.
Is there Linux support in plans?
Thank you.

Yes, we have a new Substance API. You can find the details here. https://support.allegorithmic.com/documentation/display/integrations/Scripting+in+Unity

Cheers,
Wes
the3dninja@adobe.com

Hello.
Is there Linux support in plans?
Thank you.

Hi,

For the build support, we will probably get to this after mobile support. We don't have an ETA, but mobile will take priority over linux.

Cheers
Wes
the3dninja@adobe.com

Cheers,
Wes

Thanks so much for the reply and for the info.
I should have been more specific as most of my workflow is Substance Painter to Unity so was thinking more along the lines of the Substance Painter LiveLink and pre-made Substance's working with the "Lit" shader such as those on Substance Source.
Just hearing you guys plan to support the "Lit" shader was enough to make me happy though, I will wait and see what you come up with.

Ah, I see. Thanks for this feedback. We will look at this for a future update to Live Link

Cheers,
Wes
the3dninja@adobe.com

Yes, we have a new Substance API. You can find the details here. https://support.allegorithmic.com/documentation/display/integrations/Scripting+in+Unity

Cheers,
Wes

Thank you Wes.

Is there or will there be a way to RebuildTexturesImmediately()?

Hey Wes,

Any plans to support exporting substances to bitmaps in 2018? I looked in all the places I could think of but couldn't find anything on it, we need to export them because we need to use Crunch Compression on them to keep our file size extremely low for WebGL. Are you guys going to plan on supporting that method of compression as well?

Thanks,
Mitch

Are you going to support/use Unity's assembly definition files?

Are you going to support/use Unity's assembly definition files?

Hi,

Could you provide more information support for the assembly definition files?

Cheers,
Wes
the3dninja@adobe.com

Cheers,
Wes

Thank you Wes.

Is there or will there be a way to RebuildTexturesImmediately()?

Hi,

You can use RenderSync (thats the new way to rebuildtexturesimmediately).

Cheers,
Wes
the3dninja@adobe.com

Hey Wes,

Any plans to support exporting substances to bitmaps in 2018? I looked in all the places I could think of but couldn't find anything on it, we need to export them because we need to use Crunch Compression on them to keep our file size extremely low for WebGL. Are you guys going to plan on supporting that method of compression as well?

Thanks,
Mitch

Hey Mitch,

We are going to support the baking of the Substances in a future update.

Cheers,
Wes
the3dninja@adobe.com