Author Topic: Ignore meshes (with certain prefix) when making a new project/reimporting .fbx  (Read 709 times)

I've got custom collision meshes for UE4. The meshes start with a UCX_ prefix and are in the .fbx I'm outputting to UE4, so I've got my main mesh (called SM_ something) and a bunch of meshes starting with UCX_. Of course I don't want to texture the collision meshes, so I want to ignore them when loading. In fact the project doesn't get created correctly because the collision meshes don't have UVs so Painter stops with an error.

Right now I'm exporting a Substance version of the .fbx without the collision meshes and a UE4 version of the .fbx with the collision meshes included. This works but since the only difference is the inclusion of the collision meshes it would be nice if Painter could ignore certain meshes with user definable prefixes when creating a project/reimporting an .fbx (for example "UCX_") so you could have an .fbx that goes to UE4 and Substance both instead of having copies of every mesh.

You can't ignore it but you can just apply default automatic UVs to your collision mesh in the first place, so that it can be imported in SP. Then you can hide the corresponding texture set and work on your asset the way you would normally.

You can't ignore it but you can just apply default automatic UVs to your collision mesh in the first place, so that it can be imported in SP. Then you can hide the corresponding texture set and work on your asset the way you would normally.

Yes, it's a workaround but since there is a collision mesh for each convex hull it can get annoying quickly, you have to unwrap each collision mesh in a script to have Painter load them at all, you end up with 10-20 texture sets that don't do anything, you need to disable these texture sets in the list when working on your asset, you need to disable them when exporting and so on.

Anyway this is a feature request for a smoother system that just flat out doesn't load these extra meshes that you don't want to see in Painter but still would like in the .fbx so you can import it with everything in game engines.