Author Topic: Export 2D View as diffuse texture for non-PBR games  (Read 8629 times)

Yellow13 I am right there with you clanging the digital pots together and making lots of noise.  I have given the issue a lot of thought and from feedback in other threads I am thinking we all need to be pointing our efforts to raise the awareness and get improvements to the baked light filter.  One staff member pointed out that the 2d view does not have the blended edges like the exported textures do, which can mean unsightly seams - so while it is easy to point to the 2d view and say - "but see *THAT* is what I need" but in reality we need not only to capture that window but to get the blended edges and whatnot in there.

So Second Lifers if you are out there and making assets for SL and need difuse maps that pop with height and spec please do chime in to one or all of the various threads on this topic!

I know at least half a dozen people would buy SP in a minute if they could bake out the needed textures for SL.

Actually just noticed today after looking at it earlier they removed the "Planned" tab from the one that got 177 votes. I guess apparently it is no longer a planned feature on uservoice. This upsets me greatly, im debating about going back to steam and change my review to negative to warn any nonPBR artists to stay clear until they push the feature through.

I am sure they could figure something out to make it work though, I still don't like baked lighting and would rather just have a option to just export the 2d view. Problem is almost all materials that I work with do not have any sort of specular data with it meaning I would have to go back and try and adjust spec to match what I see in 2d view. Unless they merge channels together to generate a spec map that is close to what 2d view is on export I don't see any point on trying to improve baked lighting.
Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 12:51:56 pm

As I answered to Kiera Martens 0 in another thread, saving the content of the 2D view in a texture will not give you something which will look right when applied on your 3D object. The specular reflections are view dependant, and in the 2D view there is no "point of view" which is defined. We "hacked" something so that it looks ok on the flat 2D view but it won't look right if you use the content of the 2D view as a texture applied on the object, unless there was only very little specular reflections to bake in the texture in the first place. Getting something which will look good enough on a wide-enough range of materials, not just purely diffuse materials, would require something different than what is currently in the 2D view (if it is possible at all). This is the reason why we provided the lighting filter instead.
In any case saving a useful "complete texture" including specular reflections is not simple and might even not be possible at all.

As a side note, please keep specific issues in one thread. Posting the same issue in different threads does not make it more noticeable, it only makes it more difficult for us to keep track of and more confusing for the other users to follow.
Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 02:21:26 pm

Cyrille,
The 2d view seems to take the baked lights into account.  For the kind of textures we are asking for just having the spec from the baked light sources would be sufficient.  We realize we cannot get a perfect PBR look for what we are trying to do to get our textures into SL.  We aren't expecting to get the same look as you would in a proper PBR system.  What is needed is a general even lighting of the object with just the highlights from the baked filter lights as they show up on the 2d view for us.  Perhaps your engineers could look into a way to generate the baked light filter's difuse from what we see - in whatever "hacked" way the 2d view is generated?

As I answered to Kiera Martens 0 in another thread, saving the content of the 2D view in a texture will not give you something which will look right when applied on your 3D object. The specular reflections are view dependant, and in the 2D view there is no "point of view" which is defined. We "hacked" something so that it looks ok on the flat 2D view but it won't look right if you use the content of the 2D view as a texture applied on the object, unless there was only very little specular reflections to bake in the texture in the first place. Getting something which will look good enough on a wide-enough range of materials, not just purely diffuse materials, would require something different than what is currently in the 2D view (if it is possible at all). This is the reason why we provided the lighting filter instead.
In any case saving a useful "complete texture" including specular reflections is not simple and might even not be possible at all.

As a side note, please keep specific issues in one thread. Posting the same issue in different threads does not make it more noticeable, it only makes it more difficult for us to keep track of and more confusing for the other users to follow.

I understand that, but when you are texturing for games such as Second Life or any other nonPBR game it works just fine. All I do is simply change the background to something more desirable then take screen shots and carefully place them in photoshop to literally get what I am looking at in 2d viewer into my mesh.

Unless baked lighting can be advanced beyond looking like all I did was go into PS and burned everything it's the best that we got. Plus for nonPBR games you are forced to take screenshots "use 2d viewer" to get gold to look like gold or steel to look like steel because in any other way it just looks yellow or grey with no flavor at all. That is the biggest issue with baked lighting is it just doesn't work with most materials that I use because the program's lack of not using all channel maps.

So this is why I keep pushing for this feature. It's all we got that is better than the current baked lighting. Realistically if there is a possible way to just write in a code that snapshots the 2d view at whatever current pixel size it is, would be better than nothing.

Other option would what I think kiera stated is to allow the use of all channel maps to be used for baked lighting 'which I thought was going to happen the first time baked lighting improvement was first mentioned in SP2.' That way we can get something almost as close as what the 2d viewer presents to us.

Which means we would need more options to adjust lighting and background reflections because the current set up is really restrictive.

Can we get some tool that allows us to take a screenshot of the 2d viewport atleast? It would be the easiest and quickest solution to this problem to be honest.

aw no improvement on this feature untill now.

Cyrille Damez raised some interesting and valid points but I would argue that the contents of the 2D view can and do look good when applied to 3D models.

I am a character artist with console and mobile experience and think Painter is a fantastic tool for mobile game development especially when trying to produce `fake' console quality visuals on low-end devices. I have tried `light baking' but much prefer the results from environment map lighting. And although reflections in the 2D view aren't necessarily going to be accurate, provided buckles, dials, buttons etc. look shiny and metallic, I'm happy.

I'm a big advocate of Painter but do wish I didn't need to take multiple screen grabs of the 2D view each time I update a texture. Maybe something can be done to improve baked lighting, to take it closer to the results in the viewport?

I believe there is a significant secondary market for Painter amongst the mobile development community provided their particular needs can be accommodated. Here's hoping.  :)
Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 08:12:27 pm

i personally take all of my maps from substance and use them in a cycles node in blender to bake them out basically combining all the pbr workflow maps to one diffuse texture then add bump and shiny its a little time consuming but turns out well ....  this set turned out quite well for xmas