Author Topic: LightWave 2018  (Read 1652 times)

Has Algorithmic had any contact with NewTek/LWG3D to discuss the LWO3 format used in the new LightWave 2018 coming out on 1/1/2018

Not at all, and at this point we don't have plan to support additional file format.
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Froyok aka Fabrice Piquet, Technical Artist and Product Designer at Allegorithmic.

Not what I wanted to hear when I just purchased this software and upgraded to LW2018 >:(
Fortunately, Origami Digital has a plugin in their ODI toolset for sending stuff to Substance painter and the PBR importer one for importing it back in onto your object.  They have substance loader coming soon too.
http://origamidigital.com/newtypo/index.php/software.html
Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 11:56:45 pm

Not at all, and at this point we don't have plan to support additional file format.

Yes, that's a pretty blunt and backward thinking comment coming from a member of staff.  Surely expanding your compatibility with ALL the major 3D Apps will not only further your own profits, but will cement your software as the go-to choice for thousands more artists and studios using Lightwave, who will simply turn to other model-painting solutions (i.e your competitors!) if you are unwilling to provide a simple import/export solution? 

I can't believe it would take that much effort to write a simple Python plugin (like most others), and host it on your website.  Heck, I'm sure an eager LW developer would probably write it for you for free! (any volunteers?) ...so how could this be anything but a boost in revenue for you?, let alone the additional exposure it would give you amongst a thriving LW community.  I believe the Lightwave SDK is pretty much open source now, so really there is nothing holding you back.

It seems there is also no better time to do this than now seeing as the new version of Lightwave 2018 (which has only just been released) now follows a PBR workflow to match your own software!

In order to drive this industry forward we need an inclusive rather than exclusive attitude towards collaboration.  There's nothing wrong with a bit of healthy competition, but in todays market we really have to careful not to exclude the smaller independent Apps to the point that they can no longer survive. 

I know some independant people have been working on work-around solutions (such as Origamidigital and Andrew Comb) but it would be also great to have an official version that imported the substance files direct.

So bearing this in mind perhaps you could make the first move and contact Newtek yourself?  We would all be VERY grateful  :)

Opening our import/export system to support additional file formats that users could provide is something we would like to do. For the moment we preferred to focus on format we have the time and energy to put resources on, hence the reduced list of file formats supported in our latest versions.

We actually did quite a lot of support on file formats that were barley functioning (like Blender files that often lead to crashes) and we unfortunately can't spend our time doing that. We have to give priorities on other tasks, such as fixing more important crashes and improving the software itself.
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Froyok aka Fabrice Piquet, Technical Artist and Product Designer at Allegorithmic.