Author Topic: unity webgl  (Read 8442 times)

Will substance engine run in unity webgl?

Currently, we don't support WebGL with the substance engine.

Any news? Can I try to port one of my titles with substances on WebGL?

I´m also very interested in this feature.

Just to understand, is this planned for Unity 5 release or we better start dropping the substances to port to WebGL in time?

Hi,

Substance will not be supported on webGL when Unity 5 ships, so you should indeed not use it if you want to be in time.

Cheers,
Nicolas
Head of Product Management

allegorithmic.uservoice.com ;-)

Substance will not be supported on webGL when Unity 5 ships, so you should indeed not use it if you want to be in time.

Ok, thanks for clarifying this :)

Cheers,
Pino

Hi guys

I'm looking at purchasing a copy of Substance Designer for use with Unity but I will be building all of my content to webGL, so this thread caught my attention.

To clarify, you cannot use the tight integration between Substance Designer and Unity 5 to generate the materials at run-time? Am I right in assuming you can still export textures from Substance design (eg albedo, specular, gloss, AO etc), manually import these and apply them to relevant meshes in Unity?

This would really scupper my plans otherwise!

Thanks
A

Hi guys

I'm looking at purchasing a copy of Substance Designer for use with Unity but I will be building all of my content to webGL, so this thread caught my attention.

To clarify, you cannot use the tight integration between Substance Designer and Unity 5 to generate the materials at run-time? Am I right in assuming you can still export textures from Substance design (eg albedo, specular, gloss, AO etc), manually import these and apply them to relevant meshes in Unity?

This would really scupper my plans otherwise!

Thanks
A

Hey ivaladesign,

you are right! You can export bitmap textures, as well and use these, if the Substance Plugin is not available.
Just texture images need to be supported ;)

Best regards
Environment Artist - Twitter

Well you can still use your sbsar in unity with exposed parameters.

You just have to setup the substance to just generate the texture without exporting the sbsar.

That way you keep the flexibility in unity

Thanks Vincent & Fabian

That's great to know, - I've been working my way through the getting started YouTube tutorials and the more I see the more I like about it. Huge kudos to you Wes (if you read the forums) this is an excellent getting started tutorial set in terms of pace, depth and breadth.

Something it would be good to ask is that a lot of my models are organic and consist of up to 40 meshes. I for instance have this one where I've retopo'd all the meshes individually, and would like to bring into Substance to bake and paint all the meshes.

I normally work with 3DCoat. With 3DC you have something called sequential bake, whereby the program bakes all the meshes sequentially. Is this possible in SD?

Also do you have any other tips in terms of performance with this number of meshes and flows in SD/SP(I'm targetting WebGL). Do I need to consider packing many of the smaller meshes into a single texture or something?

T
Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 02:51:04 pm

Hello all.
I am returning to life this thread because I just descovered that the substances are not supported on the WebGL build.
I was wondering if this is something Allegorithmic should work on or if it's Unity business.

Thank you.

Hello all.
I am returning to life this thread because I just descovered that the substances are not supported on the WebGL build.
I was wondering if this is something Allegorithmic should work on or if it's Unity business.

Thank you.

I'm sorry but we don't have any support coming in the near future. We are discussing this though : )

Cheers,
wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja