Author Topic: Why is color on one edge of a simple plane visible on the opposite edge?  (Read 461 times)

I have made a simple plane in Maya and exported it as FBX. I've imported the file into Substance Painter, painted one of its edges red, and now I have red on the opposite edge too. I don't understand why this happens. I did this to get to the bottom of the same problem I've had with a more complex mesh.

As you can see in the screenshots, the left edge was painted red, but somehow the right edge has a slight red to it as well. I've tried changing my brush's alignment from Tangent to UV, to no avail.

How do I keep the edge color from bleeding over to the other side of the mesh?

Here is how the plane and its UVs look in Maya LT:

Cheers,
Dave

It's because of the Texture filtering and the sampling repetition mode.
By default we repeat texture on each UV range, and when the shader read pixels in the texture, it also look at neighbors to output its final value. We don't have controls exposed for that right now that would allow to change this behavior.
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

Figured it out: it had to do with UV padding. Once I set the padding to 12 pixels in Maya LT and re-imported the mesh into Substance Painter, it worked.