Author Topic: UE 4.17 and Substance Plugin Issues  (Read 3335 times)

Hello,

I am working on a project in Unreal 4.17.2 and was wanting to use the Substance plugin for some of our assets, but I' m having a few problems that are preventing us from completely implementing it into our pipeline.

The first issue is UE's Texture Streaming Pool. When the Substance plugin is enabled. Our streaming pool goes way over budget and all the textures in our level seem to mipmap down to the lowest level, even if there's not actually a substance material in the scene. Disabling the Substance plugin fixes this issue. The only solution I've come across is to edit the .ini file with this command "r.Streaming.PoolSize 2000." Is that the only solution/ work around currently for this issue? I'm not well versed in the programming side of UE so I'm not exactly sure what putting that command in is doing or how it will affect performance or anything later on. increasing it to 2000 or 5000 whatever seems too arbitrary.

The second and more pressing issue is the material itself in UE. It imports perfectly fine and everything seems to work well in game until I try to adjust one of the exposed parameters. It's a fairly simple material (I think, I could be wrong). The only parameters are a random seed and a histogram position attribute that blends two materials together. and if i try to change either of those parameters in UE the editor slows to a crawl and eventually either Unreal or the computer itself will lock up and crash. This happens across the board to the whole team.

I'm sure there's a ton of factors that could be causing this. So i just kind of wanted to start a thread here and see if it would be possible to get some help. I'm not sure what information you guys need, please feel free to let me know and I'll provide you with whatever I can.
Thank you so much!

Jeff

These are my computer specs.

Windows 10 64-Bit
Intel Core i5-7500 CPU @ 3.40Ghz
16GB Ram
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 3GB

and these are our current settings for Substance in UE:

Or if there's no fix or there's too many factors to determine a cause. Does anyone know of a way to recreate what the substance plugin is doing but in a UE4 material? I have all the textures from Designer but i don't know how to make a node or parameter that would adjust a histogram type node in UE4.
has anyone done that before?

Or if there's no fix or there's too many factors to determine a cause. Does anyone know of a way to recreate what the substance plugin is doing but in a UE4 material? I have all the textures from Designer but i don't know how to make a node or parameter that would adjust a histogram type node in UE4.
has anyone done that before?

Hey jstanislawski_GC,

A few questions:
  • What resolution(s) are you trying to render the substances at?
  • Are you trying to change the parameters of the substances at runtime (through blueprint or other means)?
  • Can you send me the sbs files of the substances that are giving you these issues?

Hey Keston,

sure thing. and thank you very much for looking into this!

-we're trying to use the textures at 2048. but we have the same issues no matter the texture size.
-no, we're not trying to change at runtime. currently we're just trying to adjust the amount in the editor on a character blueprint. with the _INST parameter that comes in with the .sbsar import
-let me try and attach the files for you. one sec.

here you go.
please let me know if you need anything else.

sorry, i'm having a hard time attaching the resources. I had to break them up into two zip files. I guess one was too large.

second one.

Hey jstanislawski_GC,

I took at a look at your substance, it slows down my machine greatly as well (with higher specs than the ones you listed  :o).

It seems that 'gore' is pretty heavy in computation time, as well as some of the generated grunge maps in Skin Decay and Gore.



Have you taken a look at the Performance Optimization Guidelines in our documentation? This could help speed up the computation time of the substance. :) (https://support.allegorithmic.com/documentation/display/SDDOC/Performance+Optimization+Guidelines)

Hey Keston,
thanks a lot for taking a look. i think i read over the optimization techniques awhile ago. but it might be a good time to take a look again :)
I think i might have thought it was only exporting out just the textures if i didn't expose any parameters. the gore for instance. i don't need to change or update anything on it in UE so i think i just assumed it was only using the bare minimum of what it needed. but i guess that might have just been wishful thinking :)
ok, i'll definitely read through the optimization doc again and rework my material.
thanks again so much for your help. You guys are awesome!